Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/06/21 06:08:36 UTC

Feedback on board report

Hi,

There a couple of minor concerns that have been raised by the last board report:
1. There seem to be a lot of conversion happen on slack (in particular private conversation) rather than on this email list
2. The PMC seems to be not very active in following emails sent to the private list.

Anyone on the PMC care to  comment on this?  What action (if any) do you think we need to take on this?

Is there some way someone could summarise what happening on slack and bring it back to this list perhaps?

I can see in whimsey, that a number of PMC members are not signed up to the private mailing list. [1] Is it just a matter of getting these missing people subscribed and perhaps reminding people what a PMC’s duties are?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/mynewt

Re: Feedback on board report

Posted by Lukasz Wolnik <lu...@gmail.com>.
Slack would be perfect with an unlimited history plan. Shame that a lot of
useful solutions to rare issues are forever loss on the Slack channel at
the moment.

Re: Feedback on board report

Posted by Fabio Utzig <ut...@apache.org>.

Re: Feedback on board report

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feedback on board report

Posted by Fabio Utzig <ut...@apache.org>.

Re: Feedback on board report

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

I think conversations happen in 2 places:

- Slack
- Pull requests

Most of the technical conversations happen on the pull requests
themselves, I think this is fine.  It’s archived, and people have an
opportunity to review & comment.

Slack is largely for support, with the occasional “what do you
think?”   So long as that comes back to a conversation on a pull
request or dev list, I don’t see a huge issue.

Regarding activity of the PMC, I think there are probably a few people
we can vote in and we should look to do so.  Generally, I don’t think
we feel strongly that the list is underused — I imagine if you were
suggesting we stop using slack or pull requests, you’d get a lot more
commentary :)