Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> on 2020/12/01 09:55:02 UTC

Geronimo Java Mail 1.6 in TomEE 8.0.5 -> TLS 1.2 / 1.3 Support?

Hi all,

I have updated our TomEE instances to 8.0.5 as (Geronimo) Java Mail 1.6
replaced the rather outdated (Geronimo) Java Mail 1.4 in this release.

Up to now, we were using

	<dependency>
            <groupId>com.sun.mail</groupId>
            <artifactId>jakarta.mail</artifactId>
	    <version>1.6.5</version>
            <scope>provided</scope>
        </dependency>

as our mail server is configured to only support TLS 1.2 or TLS 1.3.
These protocols were not supported by Java Mail 1.4.

I recently tried to migrate to the provided Geronimo Java Mail 1.6
hoping for better protocol support, but I get java.net.SocketException
due to a javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException with "Received fatal
alert: protocol_version".

The full stack trace and related debug output can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/rzo1/64c23a1d9be752eadf36cf3e1c719ffa)

The mail session is configured as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
    <Resource id="tomee/mail/demoSMTP" type="javax.mail.Session">
        mail.debug=true
        mail.transport.protocol=smtp
        mail.smtp.starttls.enable=true
        mail.smtp.starttls.required=true
        mail.smtp.ssl.enable=false
        mail.smtp.host=mail.mail-server.com
        mail.smtp.port=587
        mail.smtp.auth=true
        mail.smtp.user=dev@mail-server.com
        <!-- your password, and not 'mail.smtp.password' -->
        password=fancyPassword
    </Resource>
</resources>

Question:

- Does anybody have an idea how to get Geronimo Java Mail 1.6 talking
via TLS 1.2 or TLS 1.3 to our mail server?

- Is TLS 1.2 / TLS 1.3 supported in Geronimo Java Mail 1.6?

If this is the wrong list, please give me an advice which list would be
a better fit.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Z

Re: Geronimo Java Mail 1.6 in TomEE 8.0.5 -> TLS 1.2 / 1.3 Support?

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Thanks for the support :)
The JIRA is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-6792, which
includes a patch proposal as SVN diff.
Will also send a follow-up on the CCed mail on the GERONIMO dev list.
Best,Richard

--
Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics
Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied SciencesMax-Planck-Str. 39 D-74081 Heilbronn phone: +49 7131 504 6791mail: richard.zowalla@hs-heilbronn.deweb: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

Re: Geronimo Java Mail 1.6 in TomEE 8.0.5 -> TLS 1.2 / 1.3 Support?

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi,

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

it depends the (ssl) socketfactory and also the jvm which all do not
support tls 1.3 rather than javamail I think

Romain Manni-Bucau

Fwd: Geronimo Java Mail 1.6 in TomEE 8.0.5 -> TLS 1.2 / 1.3 Support?

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
If someone has an idea

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Hey Richard,