Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2011/07/01 02:16:21 UTC

Question about Mesos.

Hi,

I'm newbie, and wonder what's the main differences between Hadoop
nextGen and Mesos.

Thanks.
--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Fwd: Question about Mesos.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Just FW.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Come now Matei,

This should be phrased "we will see how big the problems are with that".

Remember, the universe really is against us.  Writing compatible API's is
just taunting Murphy and his angels.

(in case it isn't clear ... tongue is firmly in cheek here)

Re: Question about Mesos.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Yup, check out https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-279 for instructions on how to download it.

Matei

Re: Question about Mesos.

Posted by brisk <my...@gmail.com>.

Re: Question about Mesos.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
This, btw, will be an excellent opportunity to answer key questions about
how informed the resource manager needs to be.  Mesos is making a bold claim
that negotiation is sufficient to convey the information and that by not
conveying resource details that the resource manager is more general.  The
latter claim is certainly true, but the former doesn't have many years of
use in ginormous clusters to prove it yet (no approach to this problem does
have that, of course).

HNG is making a much less exciting claim that more information really will
make the scheduler better.  I think it is uncontroversial that this is
likely to be at least epsilon better for the work-loads that HNG is designed
for.  As such, the HNG design point is a safer one for people with that
work-load.

Having the ability to observe and compare Mesos and HNG clusters on nearly
identical work-loads is one way to get closer to real answers to these
questions.  The comparisons will necessarily be indirect because no single
owner of a thousand node cluster in heavy use is going to set up a second
cluster just for the benefit of an experiment, but even indirect information
will be exciting.

Another option with strange implications is the idea of running HNG under
Mesos as a long-lived application or vice versa.  I am not sure what that
would teach us, but thinking about it can be fun.

Re: Question about Mesos.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
That's a good question. Right now we were planning to provide a wrapper that has the same API as the resource manager in HNG, so that not only MapReduce but other apps written against that API will work. We'll see if we run into any unforeseen problems with that.

Re: Question about Mesos.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon