Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/17 17:01:21 UTC

[Poll] Should we remove 'Io' from all interfaces?

Hi everyone,

Another issue has been arisen.  Now some people seems to want to get
rid of ugly 'Io' prefix from everywhere (e.g. IoSession -> Session,
IoFuture -> Future!?).  Please let us know what do you think about
this issue.  More feed back, better names!

[ ]: Remove them all!
[ ]: Retain them.  I use JMS Session and java.util.concurrent.Future everywhere!
[ ]: Remove them for some classes only.  (____________  list here)

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: [Poll] Should we remove 'Io' from all interfaces?

Posted by "David M. Lloyd" <da...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:01:21 +0900
"Trustin Lee" <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Another issue has been arisen.  Now some people seems to want to get
> rid of ugly 'Io' prefix from everywhere (e.g. IoSession -> Session,
> IoFuture -> Future!?).  Please let us know what do you think about
> this issue.  More feed back, better names!

For what it's worth, JSR 203 (new NIO APIs) has an interface named IoFuture
already.  Of course, as you all probably know, Future is already in the
java.util.concurrent package.

- DML

Re: [Poll] Should we remove 'Io' from all interfaces?

Posted by Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net>.
[X]: Retain them.  I use JMS Session and java.util.concurrent.Future everywhere!

There are far too many possible conflicts that would just make code a
PITA to write and read otherwise.

Rich

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
#2 MinaByteBuffer

--
..Cheers
Mark

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.
Remove them all.

Rodrigo

--
If Jack Bauer had been a Spartan, the movie would have been called "1".

Re: [Poll] Should we remove 'Io' from all interfaces?

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
Io prefix:

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
> [X]: Retain them.

For another reason. It's not because MINA is all about IO that those
classes should not start or contains 'IO'. It can be very confusing
sometime if we have an overlap with another class from another
package.

For some reasons, I felt quite confused when using MINA ByteBuffer,
because the name is the same than the basic NIO ByteBuffer. I would
not have picked this name... MINAByteBuffer would have been a good
exemple of what I would like to have.

I know that some people think we should _always_ use the full package
name instead of simply the class name in the code
(org.apache.mina.common.ByteBuffer instead of simply ByteBuffer), but
I do think that those kind of peope should be buried under their own
code :) (Don't laugh, I have already met such a strange person... Was
in in Waco, Tx ? Don't remember ;)

E.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [Poll] Should we remove 'Io' from all interfaces?

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like we need to retain those 'Io's! :)

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Trustin

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.