Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> on 2000/02/28 14:14:15 UTC

mod_perl crashes with ipchains firewall?

Well I got my leased line at the weekend and duely installed a very tight
firewall (Godot's gShield - definitely recommended for ipchains novices).
However when I have the firewall running mod_perl requests crash out with
"illegal instruction". Has anyone else come across this? Normal apache
requests execute just fine.

This does seem to be an intermittent problem too - only occuring if I stop
and start the firewall and httpd in a certain order. Its working right now
for example.

I guess the question is - what's mod_perl doing that normal requests
aren't? Do I need to open up UDP or ICMP or something?

--
<Matt/>

Details: FastNet Software Ltd - XML, Perl, Databases.
Tagline: High Performance Web Solutions
Web Sites: http://come.to/fastnet http://sergeant.org
Available for Consultancy, Contracts and Training.

Re: mod_perl crashes with ipchains firewall?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> Matt Sergeant wrote:
> >
> > Well I got my leased line at the weekend and duely installed a very tight
> > firewall (Godot's gShield - definitely recommended for ipchains novices).
> > However when I have the firewall running mod_perl requests crash out with
> > "illegal instruction". Has anyone else come across this? Normal apache
> > requests execute just fine.
>
> Overclocked?

My computer? I wish :)

I'll keep people informed. It's kindof intermittent (more off than on right
now). I think it's probably a kernel bug - my ipchains tables are very
large and that may be causing problems. Who knows... :)

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

> Well I got my leased line at the weekend and duely installed a very tight
> firewall (Godot's gShield - definitely recommended for ipchains novices).
> However when I have the firewall running mod_perl requests crash out with
> "illegal instruction". Has anyone else come across this? Normal apache
> requests execute just fine.

Overclocked?

Re: mod_perl crashes with ipchains firewall?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > Well I got my leased line at the weekend and duely installed a very tight
> > firewall (Godot's gShield - definitely recommended for ipchains novices).
> > However when I have the firewall running mod_perl requests crash out with
> > "illegal instruction". Has anyone else come across this? Normal apache
> > requests execute just fine.
> >
> > This does seem to be an intermittent problem too - only occuring if I stop
> > and start the firewall and httpd in a certain order. Its working right now
> > for example.
> >
> > I guess the question is - what's mod_perl doing that normal requests
> > aren't? Do I need to open up UDP or ICMP or something?
>
> a non-80 port number?

Nope. No mod_proxy setup "yet" - I haven't had time to do it.

Actually on another subject, has anyone tried the lightweight "oops" proxy
server? It's configuration is similar to squid, but it's a multi-threaded
proxy server and seems really quite quick. I'll probably try that as my
frontend and let people know if/how it works.

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@iname.com>.

Stas Bekman    mailto:sbekman@iname.com      http://www.stason.org/stas
Guide http://perl.apache.org/guide      mod_perl http://perl.apache.org
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC