Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Christian Kraus <ch...@ckc-it.at> on 2019/09/18 18:30:54 UTC

printing pdf files through guacamole rdp session

I saw a huge CPU use on guacd when printing pdf files  - other files (word excel text etc) don't have this impact - would it be possible to implement some code to avoid processing pdf files - and only pass them trough to download -

thanks

Christian

Christian Kraus
Inhaber
CKC IT Consulting & Solutions e.U.
Kirschenallee 22
2120 OBERSDORF
Österreich
Telefon: +43 (0) 680 2062952
Fax:        +43 820 220262992
E-mail: christian.kraus@ckc-it.at

Re: printing pdf files through guacamole rdp session

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 2:31 PM Christian Kraus <ch...@ckc-it.at>
wrote:

> I saw a huge CPU use on guacd when printing pdf files  - other files
> (word excel text etc) don't have this impact - would it be possible to
> implement some code to avoid processing pdf files - and only pass them
> trough to download -

This is a really interesting thought; unfortunately I think it would
require writing a custom Windows Print Driver for Guacamole that would be
able to detect this and then somehow communicate with the other end of
Guacamole to tell it to pass this through.  It's probably very doable - I
think print drivers do things like this pretty routinely as they interact
with printers that have built-in support for various language processing,
but it would require someone knowing how to implement a print driver, and
contributing that code.

Actually, it sparks another thought - have you tried different drivers
within the remote session - like a PCL vs. PS driver - to see if that
impacts the work that gets done on the gaucd side?  I'm curious if the
driver passes it through in a more compatible format to what guacd has to
process (PS seems like the most reasonable) if that would impact processing
time?

What types of PDF files - image-based, text-based, combinations?

-Nick