Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mark Furlong <mf...@ancestry.com> on 2017/08/23 17:20:43 UTC

Restarting an existing node hangs

I had an existing node go down. I don’t know the cause of this. I am starting Cassandra and I can see in the log that it starts and then hangs on the opening of an sstable. Is there anything I can do to fix the sstable?

I’m on OSC 2.1.12.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Furlong

Sr. Database Administrator

mfurlong@ancestry.com<ma...@ancestry.com>
M: 801-859-7427
O: 801-705-7115
1300 W Traverse Pkwy
Lehi, UT 84043

​[http://c.mfcreative.com/mars/email/shared-icon/sig-logo.gif]

Re: Restarting an existing node hangs

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
See also: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-11163

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
jstack to dump threads, get a heap dump, or turn up your logging (to debug
or trace) until you can figure out what exactly it's doing.

Posted by Mark Furlong <mf...@ancestry.com>.
Cassandra doesn’t exit and continues to run with very little CPU usage shown in top.

Thanks
Mark
801-705-7115 office

Typically if that sstable is damaged you'd see some sort of message. If you recently changed bloom filter or index intervals for that table, it may be silently rebuilding the other components of that sstable. Does cassandra exit or does it just keep churning away?

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Mark Furlong <mf...@ancestry.com>> wrote:
I had an existing node go down. I don’t know the cause of this. I am starting Cassandra and I can see in the log that it starts and then hangs on the opening of an sstable. Is there anything I can do to fix the sstable?

I’m on OSC 2.1.12.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Furlong

Sr. Database Administrator