Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com> on 2008/06/03 10:40:00 UTC

Issue talking to Axis2/C on IIS

Hi All

When I talk to Axis2/C hosted on IIS, it returns a method not allowed
exception as shown below.. however, if the POST only uses the "path"
segment, the call succeeds.. Is this a bug with IIS or Axis2/C ?

If the message fails due to a Content-Length error etc, Axis2/C returns
a smiley "Unknown Error :(" in the SOAP fault.. which I think is not
appropriate.

asankha

_Smiley in the error message_

<soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"><soapenv:Header
xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing"><wsa:Action>http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/samples/echoString</wsa:Action><wsa:MessageID>24998111-fa1e-4a8f-944a-d5e504400bd1</wsa:MessageID><wsa:RelatesTo
wsa:RelationshipType="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing/reply"
xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing">192274ef-5497-49c0-aa93-23d967e12e1e</wsa:RelatesTo></soapenv:Header><soapenv:Body><soapenv:Fault><soapenv:Code><soapenv:Value>soapenv:Sender</soapenv:Value></soapenv:Code><soapenv:Reason><soapenv:Text
xml:lang="en">*Unknown Error
:(*</soapenv:Text></soapenv:Reason><soapenv:Detail><EchoServiceError>Echo
service failed
</EchoServiceError></soapenv:Detail></soapenv:Fault></soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

_Successful request_

asankha@asankha:~/perf$ telnet 10.100.1.228 8081
Trying 10.100.1.228...
Connected to 10.100.1.228.
Escape character is '^]'.
POST /axis2/services/echo HTTP/1.1
Host: 127.0.0.1:8081

HTTP/1.1 100 Continue
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:32:27 GMT

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope">
   <soapenv:Header xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing">
      <wsa:To>http://localhost:8081/axis2/services/echo</wsa:To>

<wsa:Action>http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/samples/echoString</wsa:Action>
      <wsa:MessageID>192274ef-5497-49c0-aa93-23d967e12e1e</wsa:MessageID>
   </soapenv:Header>
   <soapenv:Body>
      <ns1:echoString xmlns:ns1="http://ws.apache.org/axis2/services/echo">
         <text>Hello World!</text>
      </ns1:echoString>
   </soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:32:35 GMT

<soapenv:Envelope ....>

_Failure Request_

asankha@asankha:~/perf$ telnet 10.100.1.228 8081
Trying 10.100.1.228...
Connected to 10.100.1.228.
Escape character is '^]'.
POST *http://10.100.1.228:8081*/axis2/services/echo HTTP/1.1
Host: 10.100.1.228:8081

HTTP/1.1 100 Continue
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:33:02 GMT

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope">
   <soapenv:Header xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing">
      <wsa:To>http://localhost:8081/axis2/services/echo</wsa:To>

<wsa:Action>http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/samples/echoString</wsa:Action>
      <wsa:MessageID>192274ef-5497-49c0-aa93-23d967e12e1e</wsa:MessageID>
   </soapenv:Header>
   <soapenv:Body>
      <ns1:echoString xmlns:ns1="http://ws.apache.org/axis2/services/echo">
         <text>Hello World!</text>
      </ns1:echoString>
   </soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

HTTP/1.1 405 Method not allowed
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:33:08 GMT
Connection: close
Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">....

Re: Issue talking to Axis2/C on IIS

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Supun
> To get the POST request working we need to register a mime type with
> the IIS server i.e asp, php etc. But we don't have a mime type in our
> service URLs and requests to our services comes without an extension
> part. Because of this IIS rejects the requests at a very early stage.
> I thing the service URLs for .Net services has a extension part (.svc)
> and they are associated with their ISAPI application.
What you say wrt to .Net may be true.. but if the POST comes as a
relative path (e.g. /services/myservice) even *without* the extension,
then Axis2/C works - which contradicts your observation.

asankha

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
This is how I have understood it. To get the POST request working we need to
register a mime type with the IIS server i.e asp, php etc. But we don't have
a mime type in our service URLs and requests to our services comes without
an extension part. Because of this IIS rejects the requests at a very early
stage. I thing the service URLs for .Net services has a extension part
(.svc) and they are associated with their ISAPI application.

Supun.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Supun

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Samisa

>>> AFAIK, the full URL in the POST and the HTTP 1.1 "Host" header are
>>> used when messages travel via proxies.. and also according to some
>>> tests done with .Net, IIS does seem to work with the full URL
>>> (however I didn't see this myself, but Ruwan will be able to share
>>> this info).. maybe you can check against .Net and see if there is a
>>> difference..
>>
>> What is the client you guys are using to send the full URL in the
>> request? We used tcpmon to resend the message wit had modified URL.
>> We also used telnet to test this. But a hint on the client you are
>> using would be helpful to debug.
> We used Apache Synapse.. you can also telnet manually as shown on my
> initial mail.. if you manually telnet, make sure about the
> Content-Length header correctless

Telnetting is a pain when debugging. If we proxy Axis2/C echo sample
with Synapse, I hope we should be able to recreate this. Correct?

Samisa...

> asankha

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering; WSO2 Inc.