Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org> on 2005/08/04 10:08:42 UTC

user-friendly plugin names

The naming convention for the plugins is fine, but I think it would be nice if
users are able to declare required plugins using simpler names like "pdf",
"text", "docbook" and so on.

We can figure out what simple names exactly to use later. I just wanted to see
what people feel about this? It should be trivial to implement (though I have
_no_ clue how! :-D), and I think it'll make config much less intimidating
(even I get scared typing org.apache.forrest.input.viewHelper.xhtml.ls)

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net

Re: user-friendly plugin names

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Diwaker Gupta wrote:

>The naming convention for the plugins is fine, but I think it would be nice if
>users are able to declare required plugins using simpler names like "pdf",
>"text", "docbook" and so on.
>
>We can figure out what simple names exactly to use later. I just wanted to see
>what people feel about this? It should be trivial to implement (though I have
>_no_ clue how! :-D), and I think it'll make config much less intimidating
>(even I get scared typing org.apache.forrest.input.viewHelper.xhtml.ls)
>
>Diwaker

Look for cocoon roles. BTW, I like the idea. :-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: user-friendly plugin names

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.

Ross Gardler wrote:

>>>How do you avoid name conflicts given that Forrest does not have a
>>>monopoly on plugin publication?

+1

> I'm not convinced that the hassle of entering the plugin name once into
> forrest properties makes this worth the effort.

+1

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: user-friendly plugin names

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 3:04 pm, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>How do you avoid name conflicts given that Forrest does not have a
>>monopoly on plugin publication?
>>
>>That is what if I call a plugin foo and Joe calls his plugin foo and
>>then Forrest creates one called foo?
>

> Hmm, I guess that does create a problem. Can we atleast allow users to specify
> a user-defined map that binds canonical plugin names with simple names?
>
> In any case, I'd like to play around with this idea personally. Can someone
> please point the right direction... what would be the neatest way of
> implementing something like this?

I'm not convinced that the hassle of entering the plugin name once into
forrest properties makes this worth the effort. However, if you itch is
strong enough then you should start at the "init-plugins" target of
main/targets/plugins.xml

(note there is an open issue to remove all the logic from this ant
script and place it in an Ant task. Ant scripts should not really
contain complex logic like this).

Ross

Re: user-friendly plugin names

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
Addi a écrit :

> Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>
>> The naming convention for the plugins is fine, but I think it would
>> be nice if users are able to declare required plugins using simpler
>> names like "pdf", "text", "docbook" and so on.
>>
>> We can figure out what simple names exactly to use later. I just
>> wanted to see what people feel about this? It should be trivial to
>> implement (though I have _no_ clue how! :-D), and I think it'll make
>> config much less intimidating (even I get scared typing
>> org.apache.forrest.input.viewHelper.xhtml.ls)
>>
>> Diwaker
>>

> Yup, I have to say I agree.  It is also a pain when going to the
> plugin dir in linux to manually install the plugin because I like to
> use tab to finish out long filenames but I pretty much have to type
> the whole thing in since they all start with the same long name before
> getting to the actual useful part of the name.

I think somethink like "cd *pdf" in $FORREST_HOME/plugins drives you to
"org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf " - it's not so long  ;-)
Cyriaque,

Posted by Addi <ad...@rocktreesky.com>.