Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Bill Fernandez <bi...@billfernandez.com> on 2009/08/12 17:02:48 UTC

Greetings

Re turtles --

o I've always thought that there is a body of use cases in which
codes within messages cause those messages to get routed to software
services that act upon the message in some automated way.

o In my previous writings I've assumed these would be services
running outside of ESME to which there would be gateways or
connectors, but having services within ESME itself that could respond
to these codes would be fine.

o If I get the gist of David's concept it's that (basically) every
action is a loggable event, every event can get or set data in the
data store, codes in messages can trigger events which get or set
data (and maybe state and configuration settings), and that codes can
be chained together to create "applications".  Is that close enough?

o This creates a command line style of functionality that some users
will pick up and run with.  If it gets popular enough, then at some
point a demand will develop for a way to create GUI front ends to
make it easy for non-command-line-users to invoke this kind of
application functionality and to interpret the results, with the
micro-messaging transactions happening in the background.  This will
ultimately overload the constraints of the micro-messaging format and
will develop a demand for expanding the capabilities of the
format.... et ad nauseam.  As I see it that's what happens over time
if the concept is successful.

Re Theo and Andy the Destroyer --

Welcome!

Re me --

Sorry for dropping out of sight.  A few months ago I got slammed with
paying contracts and have been swamped ever since.

Regards,
Bill

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com