Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch> on 2021/01/04 17:57:53 UTC

Re: list serv norms

James your proposal seems to include suggesting that we move the dev@ list
to a fully moderate mode. I don't think we currently are set up like that.
Doing so requires significant investment from a group of people to actively
moderate. I personally have some doubts that we have sufficient critical
mass in this community to actively moderate a mailing list, and think
keeping this list open as-is is simpler - but would be very happy to be
proven wrong. Your other points all do make sense to me - I think it's
great if more "senior" members of the mailing list who have been around the
community a little while can jump to help guide people on any threads from
"newer" community members.

BTW the "traditional" solution used in many other open source projects
would be to "split up" into 2 separate mailing lists - one more focused on
technical discussions for future releases, and one on end-user discussions,
more typically for released versions (but this doesn't have to be a super
hard rule). The "risk" of course is that things could also become a bit
more "fragmented", but maybe that's not a huge issue?

FYI this community actually did have a separate user@fineract.apache.org
list in the past (+2 years ago; see the archives e.g. here
<https://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.fineract.user+order%3Adate-backward#query:list%3Aorg.apache.fineract.user%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:x6fglsitv5slcsq6+state:results>),
but it went unused; all discussions were only on the dev list. I had
removed the link to it from https://fineract.apache.org in
https://github.com/apache/fineract-site/commit/2a28160dd1767771d887a82583a35f902dcf6740,
to avoid confusion.

What are everyone's thoughts about re-instantiating the user@ list in
parallel to this dev@ list? Perhaps the time is right for that now. It just
needs someone to actually drive doing this; I'm actually not sure if that
list just went "silent" or was actually "deactivated" back then. (I
personally will not drive reviving it, but anyone motivated could step up
to do that.)

Re: list serv norms

Posted by Saransh Sharma <sa...@muellners.org>.

Thanks