Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/12 16:31:19 UTC

[OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store

There has been some Twitter activity calling attention to today's release
of the IBM Lotus Symphony Viewer[1] and the November 18th release of same
on Android Marketplace.[2]
While these are currently carrying the IBM branding, they work with most
ODF emitting applications including OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. Give them
a try!

[1] http://s.apache.org/YGW <http://s.apache.org/YGW>
[2] http://bit.ly/tc7Un2 <http://t.co/7PoElUds>

Re: [OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
I can see how this news might read due to the branding....FWIW, the small
team that worked on the project just called them ODF Viewers. They work for
the Symphony project, which has an offering available now, hence the
branding. This needs to change in 2012, and it will.

They are freely available. Hopefully, many will find them useful...

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I caught the announcement and the discussion.  Perhaps you didn't notice that
> I was one of the loudest cheer leaders. I have after all been waiting for some
> such contribution for years.  However all we have is posturing and no real
> evidence.  You yourself stated at that time: "we at IBM have not been
> exemplary community members when it came to OpenOffice.org." so you'll forgive
> me if I wait till I see hard evidence. Right now all we have is statements of
> intent.

Maybe you need to look beyond the marketing list, then?  The work IBM
is doing is on IP review and cleanup, a necessary prerequisite for
contributing Symphony.   The hard evidence is the code that is being
cleaned up by Juergen, Armin, Herbert, Andre and Oliver. This work is
all being done openly, on the list and in SVN.

A week does not pass without the Symphony team asking me, "Can we
contribute the Symphony code now?".  I just had a call with them this
morning, in fact.  They really want to do this, to make this work.
They are almost exploding with anticipation.  But we need to follow
the rules.  And when we check in code we need to make sure that we
have permission, per all relevant licenses, to do this.  And our
ability to check in code derived from OpenOffice.org code will not be
permitted until we first clear the code that Oracle contributed to
Apache.

-Rob

Re: [OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hey, thanks.
Louis

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
try

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Go to the App Store.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi Don,

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi Don,

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Malte Timmermann
<ma...@gmx.com>wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>

> On 28.12.2011 20:23, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Malte Timmermann
>> <ma...@gmx.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> thanks for clarification :)
>>>
>>> I still wonder: There must be some common code between these two apps.
>>> The ODF filter, the DOM and the renderings stuff (well, at least the
>>> layouter, while the renderer itself might more be SDK specific).
>>>

>> Yes, that is a good assumption.
>>
>>  So it would still be interesting to have good and lightweight ODF viewers
>>> for desktop systems. With better layout than ODF2HTML transformations can
>>> do.
>>>
>>> Will the code for the ODF viewers also become AL2? :)
>>>

>> That is an interesting idea.  Currently the viewers are "free as in
>> beer", but they are not open source.   I can investigate this further,
>> to see what is possible on our end, but I'd really like to see this
>> project demonstrate further success working with the considerable
>> amount of code it already has, from OpenOffice and soon from Symphony,
>> and is growing the number of active coders, before throwing more code
>> at it.
>>

> Well, maybe ODF Toolkit would be a good home for this?
>
> Then, people would not only have tools for manipulating ODF, but also for
> displaying ODF. Could also help to develop some ODF2PDF stuff with ODF
> Toolkit.
>
> +1 -- I think this idea has merit. By itself, it will be difficult to
attract a community. It does have complementary value to the ODF Toolkit
project, so perhaps this makes good sense. We could open a discussion on
this prospect to determine if there are other volunteers who see it this
way...or not.

Best,

Posted by Malte Timmermann <ma...@gmx.com>.
Hi Rob,