Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Jason Daly <Ja...@trimble.com> on 2012/07/25 04:45:22 UTC

[RT] Targeting other runtimes

I've always liked mxml and Action Script, and favored developing in
these languages over Xaml and javascript and html.

I'd like to be able to build a client app, using Flex, that targets a
runtime other than the Flash player, for instance WinRT.

That's my random thought.

Jason Daly
Senior Software Architect

A Trimble | Caterpillar Company

Tel     +64.3.9635.672 (VOIP speed dial is 604072)

email: jason_daly@trimble.com <ma...@trimble.com>

Time: Ctrl-click for Time Now in Christchurch
<http://www.qlock.com/time/simple?city=Christchurch>

Re: [RT] Targeting other runtimes

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Jason,

While you can't target WinRT directly, you can target Adobe AIR, which will
make native Windows based applications.  The same code can also target
MacOSX, Android, iOS and Blackberry QNX devices.

There is a large interest in decoupling Flex from the FVM, but no work has
been done on this efforts as of yet.

-Nick

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/24/12 7:45 PM, "Jason Daly" <Ja...@trimble.com> wrote:

> I¹ve always liked mxml and Action Script, and favored developing in these
> languages over Xaml and javascript and html.
>
> I¹d like to be able to build a client app, using Flex, that targets a runtime
> other than the Flash player, for instance WinRT.
>
> That¹s my random thought.
>
> Jason Daly
> Senior Software Architect
>
> A Trimble | Caterpillar Company
> Tel     +64.3.9635.672 (VOIP speed dial is 604072)
>
> email: jason_daly@trimble.com <ma...@trimble.com>
> Time: Ctrl-click for Time Now in Christchurch
> <http://www.qlock.com/time/simple?city=Christchurch>

Lots of people are interested in this.  See past discussions in the
archives.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team