Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/11 23:39:59 UTC

Do releases _really_ need to be built with Java 1.5?

http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html

says so. I don't know where I'm going to get that environment.

Re: Do releases _really_ need to be built with Java 1.5?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Well, as long as plugins declare support for Maven [2.0,2.2) strictly
speaking we should be building those on Java 1.4

If the plugin declares support for Maven [2.2,3.2) then we need to ensure
Java 1.5 support.

If a plugin declares that it requires Maven 3.2 then we are only needing to
ensure Java 1.6...

Speaking of 3.2... Jason, any sign on when we will cut that baby and move
ourselves to 1.6!

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> I don't know where I'm going to get that environment.

Everything is still accessible in Oracle Java Archive:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html

Dawid

Re: Do releases _really_ need to be built with Java 1.5?

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
The client in question is using Oracle's CC&B (Customer Care and Billing)
their package for power companies.

So moving is not a trivial decision, as Oracle have to say if they are
prepared to support the specific combination we have. AIX level, WAS
version, JDK version etc. The joys of commercial contracts...

There are plans to move to CC&B 2.4 on top of WAS 8.5 (8.5.5), but that
will be sometime in the next 24 odd months.

So the main issue is funding to support the migration development issue.
Not a decision NOT to migrate as it where. :-)

-Chris

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Lennart Jörelid <lennart.jorelid@gmail.com

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
Hm..

+==============================+

Re: Do releases _really_ need to be built with Java 1.5?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Well it's not like Maven [,3.2) is critically broken... so you'll just have
to live with that toolchain... anyways, toolchains support should resolve
issues down to 1.5 at least (or older if you can live with older versions
of surefire plugin)

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
Um, yes, me! :-)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.