Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/13 04:15:30 UTC

[

Can somebody comment on this guys claims,

http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20050507#death_to_apache

Ps. warning: lot of flaming of our idealogies take place there but i would
still like to see him shut up.

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: [

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 12, 2005, at 10:15 PM, FaeLLe wrote:

> Can somebody comment on this guys claims,
>
> http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20050507#death_to_apache
>
> Ps. warning: lot of flaming of our idealogies take place there but
> i would
> still like to see him shut up.

He's a friend of mine.  He's actually a really good J2EE technologist
and does it for fun.

Credit where credit is due - there's a grain of truth in his blog in
general.  However, he tends to go overboard :)

In this case (and he and I have talked about this quite a bit) he's
looking at the world from the POV of a JRE user that doesn't have
concerns about JRE license, just performance and capability.   I keep
trying to spin his POV around to that of distributor, vendor, free-
software supporter, etc.  I'll let you know if we make any progress.

Read him.  Laugh if you find him funny (I usually do, and have been a
personal target a few times...)  Then move on :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hahahahahaha you da man

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: [

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.

>> http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20050507#death_to_apache
>

> That's pretty funny, he should do more of those. Oh. He did.

look at his site, he just rants and he attacks people in a funny way.
look at the people/projects he attacks and then look at the comments.
People I have a lot of respect for like this guy even after he's
attacked them, he's obviously well known by most of the Java dev
community, this is his hobby (ranting away about all and nothing), more
power to him.  Even if he was a rabid anti-apache/anti-everything kind
of person (it's obvious he isn't btw), then he would still have asked a
legitimate question

Why do we need an open source Java?  For purists, we need it because we
don't have it.  I just want to see what the community can come up with,
and I'm sure he'll post more as the project progresses and I'm sure
those will be funny too.

His writing style is ok too

Kev

Re: [

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
FaeLLe wrote:
> Can somebody comment on this guys claims,
>
> http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20050507#death_to_apache

That's pretty funny, he should do more of those. Oh. He did.

> Ps. warning: lot of flaming of our idealogies take place there but i would
> still like to see him shut up.

Why?

Re: [

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
FaeLLe wrote:
> Can somebody comment on this guys claims,
>
> http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/20050507#death_to_apache

No :-)

> Ps. warning: lot of flaming of our idealogies take place there but i would
> still like to see him shut up.

I like criticism, keeps people honest and their heart and soul open. The
style is kinda harsh, but what the hell, I've experienced a lot worse
myself :-)

I'm more concerned about those silently ignoring than those flaming.
It's easier to convert somebody that hates you than somebody that
doesn't give a damn about you ;-)

--
Stefano.

Re: [

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
ignore him :)

RE: [

Posted by Vlad Zelenko <vz...@hotmail.com>.
No need to shut him up - cynics will always be there, and they are the ones
that can influence progress to occur.  Let us just prove him wrong, enough
said.

Posted by Mark Brooks <jm...@hotmail.com>.
>You just wish he would call you an asshat.  Being called an asshat by Hani
>is a true badge of achievement in the Java world.

You have a curious notion of achievement, but whatever floats your boat.

Re: [

Posted by Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>.
> The web is full of asshats, misanthropes and social misfits with blogs.
> The guy is an asshat.

You just wish he would call you an asshat.  Being called an asshat by
Hani is a true badge of achievement in the Java world.  I look fondly to
the day that I achieve the status of asshat in Hani's weltanschaung.
But I won't bore you further with my asshat-wannabe-aspirations.

He may be abrasive (he's worked hard to become so), but there's always
some truth to what he says.  Try and find it, its actually a worthwhile
exercise.

RE: [

Posted by Mark Brooks <jm...@hotmail.com>.
>Can somebody comment on this guys claims,
>
>[URL omitted to protect the innocent]

How about nobody comments?  I didn't see anything in that blog entry except
bile from somebody whose accomplishments apparently consist of hurling dung
at people that have accomplished something other than hurling dung.

Say that three times fast.

The web is full of asshats, misanthropes and social misfits with blogs.  The
guy is an asshat.  Sending people to his website simply increases his page
count and stokes his ego.  He has no points to address.  I didn't see any,
anyway.

Don't worry about it.  Some people have envious natures, and will try to
tear down those who do what they cannot or will not.  You don't worry about
them.  They are dust; a waste of time better spent on something
constructive.