Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by harish jadhav <ha...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/07/14 20:24:16 UTC

Windows OS platform support

Hello Team,

I am exploring Apache Kafka and found that one of the best MQ I have encountered. I was exploring option to use it in Windows machine and started some kind of proof of concept work referring installation section on windows and it work perfectly. Later realized that Kafka documentation says under Hardware and OS section " We have seen a few issues running on Windows and Windows is not currently a well supported platform though we would be happy to change that. "

I am curios to know is there any actual issue running Kafka in windows OS as whichever feature I am using with single instance ( Producer-Consumer) works perfectly in windows test bed. Can I use it production windows machines?

Please advice.

Thanks
Harish

Re: Windows OS platform support

Posted by Matt Andruff <ma...@gmail.com>.
This is a really common issue with windows.  You can try turning off
backups/virus scanning of that folder and sometimes this relieves the
issue.  (I assume there is a file attribute you can alter.)  It's probably
the case that Kafka itself has the file open, as linux does not have issues
if you move a file while it's being written to or open.

If you are interested in the locking process (and tools that help you
delete or 'unlock the file' on windows see this post
<https://superuser.com/questions/117902/find-out-which-process-is-locking-a-file-or-folder-in-windows>.)
 Might also help provide enough information for you to file a bug in jira
against the issue.

Hope this helps.

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have never said that that we shouldn't use Kafka officially for Windows
Production Environment. I am running a major PoC which involves developing
solution on Windows 10 - but my production docker containers are using
Alpine Linux so I won't have any issues for the final integration pipeline.

What I would like to clarify is that if you are going for a full Windows
pipeline for your implementation (i.e. dev+delivery both on Windows
platoform) - you might want to do more research. This user group is awesome
and everyone is very active in getting all the issues resolved asap.

We have seen good performance on Windows and they are more or less
consistent with all the metrics published in Kafka - if you don't have a
strict requirement to do log cleanup you can use the workaround I
mentioned, or just clean the logs yourself.

What is your implementation requirement, exactly? Do you need to preserve
all the messages (i.e. ability to replay)? Or would you be happy to delete
them during a scheduled maintenance window ?

KR,

Posted by harish jadhav <ha...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hello M.Manna,

On Monday, July 17, 2017, 2:15:15 PM GMT+5:30, M. Manna <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
First I apologise and should just correct myself. I should use "Disk/File level operations" instead of using "I/O" since that refers to different things.
What I mean to say that file deletion/renaming doesn't work even when you provide full permissions in Windows. But Unix/Linux based system it's okay. This can be called as "Deletion/Renaming of shared files" i.e. which are already opened for appending/editing.
As an example try to run the uni tests for Kafka on Windows where file renaming/deletion occurs as part of the tests.They will fail. But same process works all good on Linux.

From the official documentation, Kafka has already made a disclaimer that Windows Implementation is not fully vetted (in progress). I believe all the top examples from LinkedIn are based on Unix/Linux. You are actually okay to do PoC activities on windows - log retention/rename/deletion will work fine.

Posted by harish jadhav <ha...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hello M.Manna,

[...]

From the official documentation, Kafka has already made a disclaimer that Windows Implementation is not fully vetted (in progress). I believe all the top examples from LinkedIn are based on Unix/Linux. You are actually okay to do PoC activities on windows - log retention/rename/deletion will work fine.

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

First I apologise and should just correct myself. I should use "Disk/File
level operations" instead of using "I/O" since that refers to different
things.

What I mean to say that file deletion/renaming doesn't work even when you
provide full permissions in Windows. But Unix/Linux based system it's okay.
This can be called as "Deletion/Renaming of shared files" i.e. which are
already opened for appending/editing.

As an example try to run the uni tests for Kafka on Windows where file
renaming/deletion occurs as part of the tests.They will fail. But same
process works all good on Linux.

From the official documentation, Kafka has already made a disclaimer that

Posted by harish jadhav <ha...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi M.Manna,