Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Alluri, AnilVarma" <an...@etrade.com> on 2010/12/16 16:33:04 UTC

svn 1.4.2 to 1.4.9

Hi,

We are planning to upgarde Subversion from 1.4.2 to 1.4.9. But i have a couple of questions regarding this.

1)what are the changes in 1.4.9 from 1.4.2 in terms of release notes?
2)The ove needs a dump and load of repository or does the existing repository upgrade as soon as the server \ client on the system is upgraded .. meaning new binary is used ??

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Alluri Anil Varma

Re: svn 1.4.2 to 1.4.9

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:31:47PM -0500, Bob Archer wrote:
> > We are planning to upgarde Subversion from 1.4.2 to 1.4.9. But i
> > have a couple of questions regarding this.
> > 1)what are the changes in 1.4.9 from 1.4.2 in terms of release
> > notes?
>
> 1.4 is very out of date. That's probably why you can't find the release notes.

Elaborate release notes for every release can be found here:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/

The list of changes for every release is here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/CHANGES

> You strongly should consider upgrading to 1.6.latest.

Yes. 1.4.x is not supported anymore by the Subversion project.

> > 2)The ove needs a dump and load of repository or does the existing
> > repository upgrade as soon as the server \ client on the system is
> > upgraded .. meaning new binary is used ??
>
> When going from 1.4.x to 1.4.y there is no change to the repository format. So, just put in the new binary and away you go.
>
> If you do go up to 1.5 or 1.6 then you can either do a dump / load sequence (usually recommended) or you can run svnadmin upgrade.

That's correct.
And the release notes for each release document this in detail.

Stefan

RE: svn 1.4.2 to 1.4.9

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> We are planning to upgarde Subversion from 1.4.2 to 1.4.9. But i
> have a couple of questions regarding this.
> 1)what are the changes in 1.4.9 from 1.4.2 in terms of release
> notes?

1.4 is very out of date. That's probably why you can't find the release notes.

You strongly should consider upgrading to 1.6.latest.

> 2)The ove needs a dump and load of repository or does the existing
> repository upgrade as soon as the server \ client on the system is
> upgraded .. meaning new binary is used ??

When going from 1.4.x to 1.4.y there is no change to the repository format. So, just put in the new binary and away you go.

If you do go up to 1.5 or 1.6 then you can either do a dump / load sequence (usually recommended) or you can run svnadmin upgrade.

> Thanks for the help!

BOb