Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Content Service Center <cs...@kg-b.de> on 2003/03/07 11:37:39 UTC

Use cases for Velocity

I am beginning my first major cocoon project and am making decisions about
which components to use. I almost decided to do the project using the
Turbine Development Kit, largely because I was attracted to Velocity.
However, an XML based framework (Cocoon) has more to offer, so it is
decided; Cocoon. However, seeing as there is a Velocity generator available,
I naturally wonder if I can't have the best of both worlds. Would those of
you who have experience with using Velocity from within Cocoon please look
at the following questions:

1. What are the various use cases that have justified using Velocity with
Cocoon? Are they primarily to support legacy code, or did you use Velocity
from the project planning stages forward?
2. Is there a Velocity transformer available anywhere?
3. What strategies do you employ to deliver the parameters/context to your
Velocity template? Does Cocoon help you in any way?

Those are my main questions, but any tips and suggestions that may help
clarify my thinking are appreciated!

Thanks,

Robert Douglass