Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by "Marco A.G.Pinto" <ma...@mail.telepac.pt> on 2013/11/27 09:10:44 UTC

en_GB speller - V2.07 - released - 27-NOV-2013

Hello my dear ones,

I have released an update for my forked en_GB speller.

Can Andrea pack an extension with it for AOO and LO?

File:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30674540/Dictionary_en_GB_marcoagpinto_20131127.zip

Thanks!

Kind regards,
       >Marco A.G.Pinto
         -----------------------

LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS:
_*V2.07 - 27-NOV-2013*_
547) newsfeed
548) telerecording
549) televiewer
550) televiewing
551) radiogenic (+ally)
552) sRGB
553) RGB
554) tech (Oxford - informal)
555) infotech
556) bandolero (+plural)
557) honeytrap
558) gangboard
559) gangsta (Oxford - black slang)
560) bottlescrew
561) shrimper (+plural)
562) longline
563) prawner (merged into prawn)
564) wanna (Oxford - informal - want to; want a)
565) Wankie
566) wanky (Oxford - British vulgar slang)
567) kbyte (+plural)
568) maxwell (if in lower case it is a physics measure)
569) bushelful (+plural)
570) kilometric (merged into kilometre)
571) fibreless (merged into fibre)
572) midline
573) inbox
574) linkbait
575) pseudorandom
576) pseudorandomly (merged into pseudorandom)
577) pseudoscience
578) pseudoscientific
579) pseudoscientist
580) parapsychological
581) parapsychologically (merged into parapsychological)
582) parapsychic
583) psychometrist (merged into psychometry)
584) psychometrician
585) demonology (plural + demonological + demonologist)
586) vampirism
587) quickstepping (merged into quickstep)
588) quickstepped (merged into quickstep)
589) Solomonic (merged into Solomon)
590) millenary (+plural)
591) Floréal
592) Amazonia
593) timeout
594) undelete (+ed +ing)
595) screenable (merged into screen)
596) screenful (merged into screen)
597) preselection
598) preselective
599) techie (+plural - Oxford: informal)
600) techy (Oxford: informal)
601) chargrill (+ed)
602) technicals (added plural)
603) knockout
604) speedball
605) decametre (+ic)
606) decigram
607) decigramme
608) magnifico (Oxford: informal)
609) magnificoes (Oxford: informal)
610) postpositive (+vely)
611) intentionalism
612) grottoed (merged into grotto)
613) preadolescent
614) preambular
615) summariness (merged into summary)
616) summational
617) summative
618) Zeuxis (Oxford: Greek painter)
619) zettabyte
620) rollerball
621) autoroute
622) backstreets (plural)
623) downfold
624) masterdom
625) masterhood
626) masterless (merged into master)
627) zinced (merged into zinc)
628) cobaltic (merged into cobalt)
629) cobaltous
630) combust
631) combustor
632) multithreaded
633) multithreading
634) netizen (+plural - Oxford: informal)
635) Photoshop (Oxford: +s +ing +ed)
636) rangefinder
637) microcapsule
638) colonoscope
639) colonoscopy (+plural)
640) hypnotherapist (+plural)
641) abductee (+plural)
642) ET (+plural)
643) Harzan (name of person)
644) Denise (name of person)
645) celeb (+plural - Oxford: informal)
646) CEO (added +s and 's)
647) CNN (added 's)
648) scats (merged plural into scat)
649) synchronicity
650) Sananda (name of person)
651) micropyle
652) spermatozoid (+plural)

Re: en_GB speller - V2.07 - released - 27-NOV-2013

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> I was talking about this with Marco the other day, it is indeed confusing
> understanding how this dictionary is being built. First of all it seems
> this dictionary havent been update in a long time.

You are correct. The dictionary was taken from the OpenOffice 3.3
sources and had to be moved to an extension for licensing reasons, so I
created the extension. But I don't actively maintain it: I may integrate
updates from others from time to time, but I have no connection to the
"upstream" people (the maintainers of those dictionaries). The only fix
I applied was to correct a long-standing bug in the hyphenation.

> The best example, is the project that Santiago bosio and other community
> members do for Spanish which is to not bundle the regionalizations but to
> develop an engine that automate the generation for each one

This is good if you have a common basis. But now the dictionaries that
are aggregated into
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-en
come from different sources, and it would be quite hard to rework it.
That said, if someone wants to try we can surely benefit from it.

> I am sure that this will be needed eventually
> since the original developers of the Hunspell project (in what
> OpenOffice.org took off) seemed to have move on.

Hunspell is the engine, and we continue to use as a spell-check engine
with no problems. If there is any "official" English dictionary shipped
with Hunspell, we can surely have a look and reuse it. Currently, for
continuity, we simply use the OpenOffice 3.3.0 dictionary with the
hyphenation fix and with (as discussed in this thread) Marco's
improvements for the OpenOffice 4.1 release. But if you have pointers to
updated upstreams we can update everything.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: en_GB speller - V2.07 - released - 27-NOV-2013

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Hi Andrea,

I was talking about this with Marco the other day, it is indeed confusing
understanding how this dictionary is being built. First of all it seems
this dictionary havent been update in a long time. There seems to be
originated from a project called WordLabel, however the site in itself
seems to be focused on other projects beside the dictionary atm.
Furthermore, it seems to be not public (I wasn't able to find an SCM, or
Issue tracker).

The best example, is the project that Santiago bosio and other community
members do for Spanish which is to not bundle the regionalizations but to
develop an engine that automate the generation for each one, and then for
each project (OpenOffice, LO, Mozilla, Aspell/Hunspell, etc).

https://forja.rediris.es/projects/rla-es/

However I don't see an open project or a source tree for Marco to sign in
to and perform the commits. I am sure that this will be needed eventually

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 27/11/2013 Marco A.G.Pinto wrote:
>
>> Hello my dear ones,
>> I have released an update for my forked en_GB speller.
>> Can Andrea pack an extension with it for AOO and LO?
>>

> Hello Marco, thank you for preparing this dictionary (and I know another
> version is coming). I cannot package it as a separate extension (either for
> OpenOffice or LibreOffice) since I wouldn't then be able to maintain it.
>
> What I can surely do, and probably the most useful for users, is that I
> copy your files into http://extensions.openoffice.
> org/en/project/aoo-dict-en (the extension that contains all English -US
> and GB and other variants- dictionaries and that we ship with Apache
> OpenOffice).
>
> Since this extension is bundled with almost any version of OpenOffice we
> distribute, I update it quite rarely, usually matching an OpenOffice
> release, so that people will already have a new version when they download
> the latest OpenOffice release.
>
> This means that I will probably copy your work into
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-en when the next
> OpenOffice release approaches. I will send a dictionary update warning to
> this list anyway.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://www.openoffice.org

Re: en_GB speller - V2.07 - released - 27-NOV-2013

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.