Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de> on 2012/02/25 17:33:18 UTC

Should a vote about a commons wide checkstyle config be submitted to the PMC (was Re: Common checkstyle)

Hi,

for some reason this discussion ended without a result. Maybe it is time
to summarize what has been discussed so far.

This all goes back to a commit by Gary, that fixed several check style
issues in VFS [1]. The following discussion between Gary and Ralph and
others [2] showed, that there are several thinks unclear regarding the
check style configurations in commons:

- which configuration to use when starting a new project
- if the check style configuration of a project can be changed
- if there is a commons wide check style configuration, that all
projects could agree on

It was then suggested to call a vote on whether there should be a
commons wide check style configuration. This question is still unanswered.

Arguments for a commons wide configuration:

- it is easier for people to swap between projects and for new
contributers to get started
- Commons is one subproject of the ASF, so it should have only one style
- all source code would be formated the same way (making it "common" )

Arguments against a commons wide configuration:

- several projects have evolved their configuration in different ways,
making it hard to find a commons wide style
- Reformatting will be a lot of work
- teams should be able to choose their own style
- most people only develop a few components, so that the swapping is not
that much of an issue
- Technical restrictions (where to place such a commons wide check style
file?)

As a solution to those arguments it was proposed to have a default check
style configuration, that can be used for new projects. This
configuration may be overwritten by the different components if they
feel the need.

So now we have to answer the question: Should a vote be submitted to the
PMC?

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/4yxhoefo37tpighf
[2] http://markmail.org/thread/m337z45fe2d7dps2

Re: Should a vote about a commons wide checkstyle config be submitted to the PMC (was Re: Common checkstyle)

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
Nah. It just means that when someone actually decides to do it we will review it then.  I don't really see the point in voting on something and then no one following through to implement it.

Ralph

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Jörg Schaible
<Jo...@scalaris.com>wrote:

> Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > for the record: since more than 72h have passed with no response, I
> > guess we can drop this topic and leave everything the way it is.
>
> Or it means, you did not draw any attention to a new topic in a thread of
> ~50 postings ...

Right! This is a good post that touches on a 'religious' issue. For me
formatting should be consistent and automatic using your IDE.

So ideally, we can define a set of rules that can be implemented in CS and
in an IDE (Eclipse, IJ, NB) and saved in SVN. Then we can decide if we want
to save IDE settings in a new dir called ide/{ide_name}/{ide_version}, that
kind of thing.

I would like to see CS defined in the parent and let each component
override as they see fit.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Should a vote about a commons wide checkstyle config be submitted to the PMC (was Re: Common checkstyle)

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.