Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ben short <be...@benshort.co.uk> on 2007/07/31 11:02:43 UTC

Stop a webapp from being started when tomcat starts

Hi,

Is it possible to configure tomcat to not start a specific webapp when
it starts up?

Ben

Re: Stop a webapp from being started when tomcat starts

Posted by Scott McClanahan <sc...@trnswrks.com>.
On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 05:28 -0400, Matthew Whittaker-Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:02, ben short wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to configure tomcat to not start a specific webapp when
> > it starts up?
> >
> > Ben

> Ben,
>
> Just set the permissions to 0000 on the webapp directory and it won`t startup
> again when tomcat gets a restart.
> *Note* it doesn`t get listed as well so you can`t manually start the
> application anymore.
>
> Matt

You used to be able to do this in tomcat 5.0.28 but can't seem to in
5.5.23, unless I'm missing something.  In the Host section of your
server.xml if you set autoDeploy="false" and deployOnStartup="false"
then you could drop your context descriptor files in the
conf/<engine>/<host>/ directory and start them up that way.  Since the
manager app has a manager.xml file located there you could still use the
manager app as well.

In tomcat 5.5.23 if you set deployOnStartup="false" then nothing out of
the appBase gets deployed nor do any of the apps referenced by the
context descriptors (manager app doesn't get deployed).  I wish you
could have a deployOnStartup for apps in the appBase and a different
deployOnStartup for context descriptors in conf/<engine>/<host>/

Re: Stop a webapp from being started when tomcat starts

Posted by Matthew Whittaker-Williams <ma...@quanza.net>.