Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca> on 2006/10/25 18:23:57 UTC

Help Getting Started

Hello List:

I've been expounding the benefits of source control for years.  I've even used
it on a few projects, but it's mostly been supported by others.  I'm now running
my own project and need to implement it for local as well as network (i.e.
Internet) access.  I've chosen Subversion (of course).

So, I've installed the latest version of svn 1.4.0, and have TortoiseSVN 1.3.5,
but I understand that's outside the scope of this list.  I'm running all this on
a Win2K workstation, which has XAMPP installed.  So to recap:

Win2K
svn 1.4.0
Apache 2.2.2
PHP 5.1.4
etc...

Because of the version of Apache, I can't use the DAV modules, which I
understand were built for 2.0, and won't work with 2.2 (I tried and it didn't
work).  So I'll have to use svnserver for network access to my repository.

I was able to create a repository on my G: drive like so:

G:\>svnadmin create svnrepo

That's where I ran out of luck...  Here are the next few lines and their errors:

G:\>svn import cityfax E:\Websites\cityfax\site
svn: Invalid URL 'E:/Websites/cityfax/site'

G:\>svn import cityfax file://E:\Websites\cityfax\site
svn: Could not use external editor to fetch log message; consider setting the
$SVN_EDITOR environment variable or using the --message (-m) or --file (-F) options
svn: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR is set, and
no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option was found

G:\>svn ls
svn: '.' is not a working copy

G:\>svn checkout cityfax
svn: Client error in parsing arguments

G:\>svn checkout svn://cityfax
svn: No repository found in 'svn://cityfax'

So, a few questions:

- How do I check what's currently in the repository?
- Did my import work?
- If my import did not work, how can I make it work?

That's it for now.  Baby steps.  Thanks for your help!
--
A. Alfred Ayache
http://lphs76.ca             - Reunion community

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>.
Good evening, all...

I'm sure this has been discussed but I wasn't able to find it in the archives.

Running Subversion 1.3.2 on Fedora Core 2, went to import about 4.5 GB of
files into a newly-created repository, and svn barfed and exited when the
database file hit 2 GB.

Linux hasn't had a 2-GB limit for a long time, and I verified that this
particular installation could handle large files by building a 4.5-GB
tarball of all of the files I wanted to put into the repository.

Is there a configuration option I missed that allows svn to build large
database files?

Thanks...

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.
UGH!  OK, I've figured out how to reset the cache (delete the file in the
%APPDATA%\Subversion\auth\svn.simple directory).  But now I'm stuck with the
original problem.

OK, got it: turns out I had the svnserve.conf file looking for an authz file,
and I left it to the default.  I didn't need it at all.  As soon as I removed
that reference, the import worked!

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 26, 2006, at 19:47, A. Alfred Ayache wrote:

> Well, I started svnserve in a DOS-box, under my one user on this
> workstation. So I have full admin rights.
>
> Is it possible I have different versions of client and server?
> Would that cause this sort of problem?  Because it's complaining
> about the format file...

Yes, you can have different versions of server and client. No, it
shouldn't cause problems; 1.x servers and clients are guaranteed to
be reasonably compatible with each other. It might just be that some
newer features can't be used unless both server and client are the
new version. The complaint about the format file merely means that
Subversion cannot find it; this is the file Subversion tries to
locate to determine if a directory is a repository, that's all.

On Oct 26, 2006, at 20:42, Brad Bruce wrote:

>> On Oct 26, 2006, at 09:56, A. Alfred Ayache wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I changed the svnserve startup to:
>>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS>svnserve -d -r file:///g:/svnrepo
>>>
>>> Then tried the import again:

[snip]

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Brad Bruce <NJ...@Verizon.net>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2006, at 09:56, A. Alfred Ayache wrote:
>
>> OK, I changed the svnserve startup to:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS>svnserve -d -r file:///g:/svnrepo
>>
>> Then tried the import again:
>>
>> G:\>svn import e:\websites\cityfax\site svn://localhost/cityfax
>> -m"Original import"
>> svn: Can't open file 'file:\\\g:\svnrepo\cityfax\format': The
>> filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>>
>> Aargh!
>>
>> But then I looked at it a little more closely, and realized I was
>> sending it to a directory which wasn't there (i.e.
>> svn://localhost/cityfax), so I tried again:
>>
>> G:\>svn import e:\websites\cityfax\site svn://localhost/ -m"Original
>> import"
>> svn: Can't open file 'file:\\\g:\svnrepo\format': The filename,
>> directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>>
>> I even tried turning the slashes around on the e:/websites...
>> directory name, but I got the same result.  :(
>
> It's curious that it would print "file:\\\g:\..." in the error
> message, since I thought slashes should always be forward slashes in a
> URL, and indeed you used forward slashes when specifying the URL.
>
> Under what user does svnserve run? Does this user have permission to
> read the repository files? Does this user have access to the G: volume
> label? (They're per-user, aren't they?)
>
> If that doesn't help, I could sure use the help of a Windows expert
> here, because I'm running out of ideas. :)

Shouldn't C:\WINDOWS>svnserve -d -r file:///g:/svnrepo actually be
C:\WINDOWS>svnserve -d -r g:\svnrepo

Brad

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.
Thanks for your reply, Ryan!

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Vagmi Mudumbai <va...@gmail.com>.
Try using the command line clients shipped with svn 1.4. The problem might
be with incompatible version of the client and the server. Try running
svnadmin --version and svn --version to check if both the versions are what
you intended to use. There might be issues with some path variables as the
1.3 client that you installed later might have overwritten the path
variable. I am a linux user and I am not sure about how this works on
Windows. But this is just my 2 cents.

On 10/27/06, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2006, at 09:56, A. Alfred Ayache wrote:
>
> > OK, I changed the svnserve startup to:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS>svnserve -d -r file:///g:/svnrepo
> >
> > Then tried the import again:
> >
> > G:\>svn import e:\websites\cityfax\site svn://localhost/cityfax -
> > m"Original import"
> > svn: Can't open file 'file:\\\g:\svnrepo\cityfax\format': The
> > filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> >
> > Aargh!
> >
> > But then I looked at it a little more closely, and realized I was
> > sending it to a directory which wasn't there (i.e. svn://localhost/
> > cityfax), so I tried again:
> >
> > G:\>svn import e:\websites\cityfax\site svn://localhost/ -
> > m"Original import"
> > svn: Can't open file 'file:\\\g:\svnrepo\format': The filename,
> > directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> >
> > I even tried turning the slashes around on the e:/websites...
> > directory name, but I got the same result.  :(
>
> It's curious that it would print "file:\\\g:\..." in the error
> message, since I thought slashes should always be forward slashes in
> a URL, and indeed you used forward slashes when specifying the URL.
>
> Under what user does svnserve run? Does this user have permission to
> read the repository files? Does this user have access to the G:
> volume label? (They're per-user, aren't they?)
>
> If that doesn't help, I could sure use the help of a Windows expert
> here, because I'm running out of ideas. :)

http://geekswithblogs.net/vagmi.mudumbai
http://installneo.blogspot.com

"Peace is its own reward." - Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> $ svnserve -d -r /usr/local/repositories"

OK, I changed the svnserve startup to:

C:\WINDOWS>svnserve -d -r file:///g:/svnrepo

Then tried the import again:

G:\>svn import e:\websites\cityfax\site svn://localhost/cityfax -m"Original import"
svn: Can't open file 'file:\\\g:\svnrepo\cityfax\format': The filename,
directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Aargh!

But then I looked at it a little more closely, and realized I was sending it to
a directory which wasn't there (i.e. svn://localhost/cityfax), so I tried again:

G:\>svn import e:\websites\cityfax\site svn://localhost/ -m"Original import"
svn: Can't open file 'file:\\\g:\svnrepo\format': The filename, directory name,
or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I even tried turning the slashes around on the e:/websites... directory name,
but I got the same result.  :(

Thanks again for your assistance.

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 25, 2006, at 17:55, A. Alfred Ayache wrote:

>> How did you start svnserve? The parameters you use there would
>> dictate the URL you need to use when accessing it.
>
> I used:
>
> svnserve -d
>
> So how do I import into the repo?

So then, according to the documentation here...

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html

...you need to specify the absolute repository path in the URL, or
else start svnserve pointed at a specific directory where your
repositories are located.

"A client needs to specify an absolute path in the repository URL.
For example, if a repository is located at /usr/local/repositories/
project1, then a client would reach it via svn://host.example.com/usr/
local/repositories/project1 . To increase security, you can pass the -
r option to svnserve, which restricts it to exporting only
repositories below that path:

$ svnserve -d -r /usr/local/repositories"

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2006, at 15:35, A. Alfred Ayache wrote:
>
>> Yes, I do have svnserve running in an open DOS-box.  I plan on making
>> it a service once I've got things running properly.
>
> How did you start svnserve? The parameters you use there would dictate
> the URL you need to use when accessing it.

I used:

svnserve -d

So how do I import into the repo?

> I searched Google for "subversion windows file url" and see that the
> correct syntax is described here:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#windows-drive-letter
>
> So we're missing a slash. It should be:
>
> svn ls file:///G:/svnrepo

Yes, that works, thanks, and I get:

G:\>svn ls file:///G:/svnrepo

G:\>

Nothing.  So the import didn't seem to work.

But we're making progress and I'm extremely grateful for your help!

Thanks!
- AAA

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.
Hi Ryan:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I have been reading the book (as well as the TortoiseSVN help file) and as
I couldn't get things working, I thought I'd ask for help here.

Re: Help Getting Started

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.