Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Russell Brown <ru...@oracle.com> on 2010/06/14 19:57:46 UTC

Hadoop and IP on InfiniBand (IPoIB)

I'm a new user of Hadoop.  I have a Linux cluster with both gigabit
ethernet and InfiniBand communications interfaces.  Could someone please
tell me how to switch IP communication from ethernet (the default) to
InfiniBand?  Thanks.

Russell A. Brown                |  Oracle
russ.brown@oracle.com           |  UMPK14-260
(650) 786-3011 (office)         |  14 Network Circle
(650) 786-3453 (fax)            |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

Re: Hadoop and IP on InfiniBand (IPoIB)

Posted by Russell Brown <ru...@oracle.com>.
FYI, Allen Wittnauer,

I'm using Linux not Solaris, but I'll pay attention to your comment
about Solaris if I install Solaris on the cluster.  Thanks again for
your helpful comments.

Russ

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.

Posted by Russell Brown <ru...@oracle.com>.
Thanks, Allen, for responding.

So, if I understand you correctly, the dfs.datanode.dns.interface and
mapred.tasktracker.dns.interface options may be used to define inbound
connections only?

Concerning the OS configuration, my /etc/hosts files assign unique host
names to the ethernet and IB interfaces.  However, even if I specify the
IB host names in the masters and slaves files, communication still
occurs via ethernet, not via IB.

Your recommendation would therefore be to define IB instead of ethernet
as the default network interface connection, right?

Thanks,

Russ

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.