Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org> on 2006/08/14 06:16:33 UTC

Re: svn commit: r21067 - in branches/incomplete-directories/subversion: include libsvn_wc

[kfogel@tigris.org]
> -      case svn_depth_zero:
> +      case svn_depth_base:
>          val = "0";
>          break;
> -      case svn_depth_one:
> +      case svn_depth_onelevel:
>          val = "1";
>        default:
> -        /* Else assume 2 (svn_depth_infinity), which we represent as "",
> +        /* Else assume 2 (svn_depth_subtree), which we represent as "",
>             which write_val() will emit if handed NULL. */
>          val = NULL;

That brings up a question - why not use readable strings like "base"
and "onelevel" in the entries file, rather than "0" and "1"?  Yes, I
know, the entries file doesn't _have_ to be human-readable/editable,
but....

Re: svn commit: r21067 - in branches/incomplete-directories/subversion: include libsvn_wc

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.
Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org> writes:
> [kfogel@tigris.org]
>> -      case svn_depth_zero:
>> +      case svn_depth_base:
>>          val = "0";
>>          break;
>> -      case svn_depth_one:
>> +      case svn_depth_onelevel:
>>          val = "1";
>>        default:
>> -        /* Else assume 2 (svn_depth_infinity), which we represent as "",
>> +        /* Else assume 2 (svn_depth_subtree), which we represent as "",
>>             which write_val() will emit if handed NULL. */
>>          val = NULL;
>
> That brings up a question - why not use readable strings like "base"
> and "onelevel" in the entries file, rather than "0" and "1"?  Yes, I
> know, the entries file doesn't _have_ to be human-readable/editable,
> but....

You know, that's a good question.

I think I was still in the "zero, one, infinity" mentality there, but
that we should use words as you suggest -- and saving bytes isn't the
real issue, given that the common case (subtree, infinity) is still
going to be the empty string anyway.

Thanks for the eyes, Peter.

-Karl