Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by yu feng <ol...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/02 04:52:28 UTC

Feature about taking more than one hive source as kylin input in kylin-1.x

Hi all:
    I have been submit a patch on kylin-1.0(KYLIN-1172), it can take more
hive as kylin input. even those hive based on different hadoop cluster.
However, After I consult with @Luke Han and @Shi, Shaofeng, they do not
plan to add new big fearures to kylin-1.x which is in a stable state.

    I think maybe we can create a new branch for this feature, and offer an
option for those who really need it. Instead of deploying many kylin
environment for different hive source.

    What is more, I am being familiar with kylin-2.x which is more
extensible in architecture, and I will add one input named "other hives"
which can realize the same feature. and I think it will easier to add this
feature to kylin-2.x.

    I want to get some advice from kylin community and what is next for me
to create a new branch. Thanks for any suggestion.

Re: Feature about taking more than one hive source as kylin input in kylin-1.x

Posted by "Shi, Shaofeng" <sh...@ebay.com>.
Maintain additional branch is time-consuming, you have to periodically
merge it with the main branch; I think for 1.x the patch would be good,
user can pick up it and apply if he need.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.