Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/03/19 20:10:46 UTC

Adding default OSGi information to JARs

This is mostly directed at Carlos,

Just following up on the discussion we have at EclipseCon. Have you
check the performance of the Felix plugin? If it doesn't add any
significant overhead to people building their JARs due to the
analysis performed by BND, and it is entirely non-invasive then I
think it would be fine to add to the default lifecycle. Just so you
can prepare I would like to know if any significant amount of time is
added to a build to add the bundle information. If it is
insignificant it's not a problem, if it doesn't something like add
20% to users build times then I think we'll have a problem.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Adding default OSGi information to JARs

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
as soon as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-199 gets
applied anybody can add the "manifest" goal and get the OSGi manifest
in the jar.

On 3/28/07, Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com> wrote:
> 2007/3/28, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>:
> > > It would be great if that could be available in 2.0.x version of
> > > Maven. We are too far from 2.1 version.
> > you will always have the option to add a plugin to your pom that will
> > generate the OSGi manifest (the maven-bundle-plugin from Apache
> > Felix). We are talking about 2.1 automatically invoking that plugin.
>
> This is the way I'm doing now, invoking explicitly bundle packaging of
> maven-bundle-plugin.
>
> But I think to all these Apache commons-* projects that could be
> automatically build with OSGi manifest entries.
> If they agree, OSGi information will be automatically added as soon as
> Maven will provide officially this feature.
> So the longer we wait for Maven 2.1, the longer we have to package
> ourself these projects.
>
> Anyway, it's worth waiting for this feature which it's better that nothing :)
>
> Damien

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Adding default OSGi information to JARs

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 3/28/07, Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com> wrote:
> > > How this will be done ?
> > At first by putting an innocuous plugin in the lifecycle, or in 2.1
> > with extensions in Plexus it will be an extension to the JAR plugin
> > that populates manifest information.
>
> It would be great if that could be available in 2.0.x version of
> Maven. We are too far from 2.1 version.

you will always have the option to add a plugin to your pom that will
generate the OSGi manifest (the maven-bundle-plugin from Apache
Felix). We are talking about 2.1 automatically invoking that plugin.

> > > Will it be active by default ?
> > If we decide that it's non-invasive and doesn't significantly
> > increase the time of anyone's builds then I see so harm.
>
> Ok I understand, but you didn't answer my (not clear) question : if
> OSGi packaging is fast enough, will OSGi manifest entries be
> transparently added to every maven-build jars ?

in 2.1 maybe, in the meantime you just need to add a plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 28 Mar 07, at 9:15 AM 28 Mar 07, Damien Lecan wrote:

>> > How this will be done ?
>> At first by putting an innocuous plugin in the lifecycle, or in 2.1
>> with extensions in Plexus it will be an extension to the JAR plugin
>> that populates manifest information.
>
> It would be great if that could be available in 2.0.x version of
> Maven. We are too far from 2.1 version.

Changing the lifecycle is not technically hard but it's still a
change at a very fundamental level. I don't see this going into 2.0.x.

>> > Will it be active by default ?
>> If we decide that it's non-invasive and doesn't significantly
>> increase the time of anyone's builds then I see so harm.
>
> Ok I understand, but you didn't answer my (not clear) question : if
> OSGi packaging is fast enough, will OSGi manifest entries be
> transparently added to every maven-build jars ?

Yes, they would be transparently added provided it is entirely non-
invasive and the performance impact is slight.

> Or will it be an OSGi developer option, that will never be known and
> used by other common people ?

Commons users will never see it. We're not pushing OSGi
configurations in people's faces.

Jason.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
half here, half in felix-dev

I have made some improvements to Felix bundle plugin for manifest
generation that you can see here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-199

once that it's applied and hopefully released we'll give a try with
our own maven artifacts

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Kaloyan Enimanev <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Milos
I was just expressing an opinion :)
I'm not part of the Maven team.

best regards,
  Kaloyan

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.

Posted by Kaloyan Enimanev <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 28 Mar 07, at 4:02 AM 28 Mar 07, Damien Lecan wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> [...]
>>  it is entirely non-invasive then I
>> think it would be fine to add to the default lifecycle.
>
> How this will be done ?

At first by putting an innocuous plugin in the lifecycle, or in 2.1
with extensions in Plexus it will be an extension to the JAR plugin
that populates manifest information.

> Does "bundle" packaging will become official, or will it supercede
> default jar packaging ?

Never.

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 19 March 2007 16:12, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> afaik they passed the vote to graduate

Oh yea.   Forgot about that and google still brings up their incubator
page as the first hit (which still says it's undergoing incubation).
Guess they need to upgrade the incubator sites to let people know
they're graduating.

Dan

> On 3/19/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > One more thing to take into consideration:
> >
> > Felix is in incubation.   Thus, as of right now, the plugin cannot
> > go to central.  Feel free to complain about that on
> > general@incubator.a.o.        :-)
> >

> > Dan
> >
> > On Monday 19 March 2007 16:03, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> > > I'm still waiting for a big patch to be applied
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-199
> > >
> > > And they need to make a release also.
> > >
> > > I'll take a look at the performance

> > --
> > J. Daniel Kulp
> > Principal Engineer
> > IONA
> > P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
> > daniel.kulp@iona.com
> > http://www.dankulp.com/blog

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Adding default OSGi information to JARs

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
One more thing to take into consideration:

Felix is in incubation.   Thus, as of right now, the plugin cannot go to
central.  Feel free to complain about that on
general@incubator.a.o.        :-)

Dan

On Monday 19 March 2007 16:03, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> I'm still waiting for a big patch to be applied
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-199
>
> And they need to make a release also.
>
> I'll take a look at the performance
>
> On 3/19/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > This is mostly directed at Carlos,
> >
> > Just following up on the discussion we have at EclipseCon. Have you
> > check the performance of the Felix plugin? If it doesn't add any
> > significant overhead to people building their JARs due to the
> > analysis performed by BND, and it is entirely non-invasive then I
> > think it would be fine to add to the default lifecycle. Just so you
> > can prepare I would like to know if any significant amount of time
> > is added to a build to add the bundle information. If it is
> > insignificant it's not a problem, if it doesn't something like add
> > 20% to users build times then I think we'll have a problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason.

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Adding default OSGi information to JARs

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.