Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by pratyush_prabhat <pr...@infy.com> on 2000/11/09 04:12:03 UTC

Problems with TomCat and SOAP service deployment.

Hi,

Sorry for another one of the newbie questions.
My problem is that I am stuck with TomCat. What I understand is that for
SOAP applications TomCat is not used as a plugin to Apache but as
standalone. I downloaded tomcat from the Jakarta Project site. My
tomcat/conf file says the default port is 8007. But when I
c:/Tomcat/Bin/start ,  a new screen pops up which says starting tomcat in a
new window . Using classpath...blah..blah..

Then when I check my Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services , it
shows no signs of Tomcat having started.

1.How can i Configure the default port for TomCat?
2.How should the HTTPD.conf file be altered for running TomCat?
3.How do I deploy the Soap Services(say Addressbook example) on TomCat
server?(i.e the step by step procedure)

I would really appreciate a detailed reply for all these questions.

cheers

Pratyush

Re: Problems with TomCat and SOAP service deployment.

Posted by Bill Pfeiffer <ws...@tampabay.rr.com>.
My Uneducated Answers:

1. For Tomcat 3.2b6, edit the server.xml (my port is 1301, change to
whatever you want):
        <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
            <Parameter name="handler"

value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
            <Parameter name="port"
                value="1301"/>
        </Connector>

2. Add the following line to apache's HTTPD.conf:

Include "D:\Java\jakarta-tomcat\conf\tomcat-apache.conf"

where you point at YOUR tomcat install's tomcat-apache.conf file.  This file
is generated by tomcat.

3. The way that I deployed was to create a 'soap' dir under tomcat's
'webapps' dir and then copy the contents of apache-soap 'webapps' directory
to the 'soap' dir.  Restart tomcat and you should be able to get to the url
(substitute your port for 1301): http://localhost:1301/soap

Once there you will be given a choic to deploy, undeploy or list the
services.  Chose deploy and use the DeploymentDescriptor.xml file from the
sample (addressbook) to fill out the required fields.

This is as far as I've gotten with this.  Don't know if I've done things
right but all looks good so far (deployment didn't fail!)

Good luck,

Bill Pfeiffer