Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by "Brown, Keith" <KB...@develop.com> on 2000/08/17 22:52:49 UTC

RE: SOAP Method Return Type.

The server that exposes the SOAP endpoint specifies two schemas: one for the
request message and one for the response message, so unless you build in
some application-level hints, you'll just get the return value as defined in
the response message schema.

By applying the xsi:type attribute to the GetLastTradePrice element, you've
specified that GetLastTradePrice is an integer as opposed to a structure
with one accessor (symbol).

What made a big difference to me in understanding SOAP was thinking less
about RPC and more about messaging - each SOAP request is simply a
serialized object graph. Each SOAP response is also a serialized object
graph. As a result, the SOAP/Perl bits reflect this thinking (hopefully for
the better). The SOAP/Perl bits from a year-and-a-half-or-so ago (0.9) that
required CDL to operate was purely an RPC-based approach and was much harder
to implement.

Keith
http://www.develop.com/kbrown <http://www.develop.com/kbrown>