Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/25 21:04:28 UTC

making plugins (plugins portlet) more visible in the console

Hey,

Right now, the plugins portlet is not all that visible in the admin
console (it's under Applications / Plugins). I think it would be great
to make it more visible by creating a new "Plugins" section with
"Install", "Export", and "Assemble Server" subsections. I already
created three separate portlets for these plugin operations so
rearranging things visually should be easy.

Thoughts?

Jarek

Re: making plugins (plugins portlet) more visible in the console

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 27, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Donald Woods wrote:
>> Yep, maybe we need to move the samples back into the server tree
>> (but under their own /samples subdir) for 2.2.  That would also
>> allow us to create a samples-testsuite to verify they work... :-)

There's nothing stopping you from enhancing the smoke tests in trunk,
which verify that the plugins install and start, to actually seeing if
they have the desired functionality.  I don't see how moving the
samples elsewhere would make this easier or harder.  They can't really
go in testsuite because they are not designed to run in a full server,
they pull in jetty or tomcat.

> I removed the 3 remaining samples from the 2.1.1 catalog.

I'm still dead set against merging samples into trunk.  I'd be happy
if anyone wanted to move _any_ of the plugins from server/trunk/
plugins to plugins: IMO this is more appropriate direction to move in,
and I thought there was general agreement on this.

I'd expect you'd need the 2.1 to 2.1.1 compatibility plugin installed
for 2.1 samples to work on 2.1.1.  Do you guys have that installed?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Lin Sun wrote:
> I did the same, I added the 2.1.1 plugin repo manually and tried the
> servlet and jsp samples for tomcat, but neither worked.
>
> Joe, Can we still make changes to the 2.1.1 plugin repo?  I think this
> "Missing dependency" is caused by an incorrect configuration in the
> project's pom.xml.

We can update the catalog anytime.  I think it's best to remove the
samples that I referenced in my response to Donald.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Yep, that sounds ike a better split.
And agree to only making console reorg changes like this in trunk.

-Donald

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
While I agree that it would be good to give plugins more visibility, I
am reluctant to see the size of the navigation entries increase.  At the
moment I think this is an issue because the categories cannot be
collapsed.  However, if we add that capability in the future then I
think it would make a lot of sense to have a new category for plugin
related functions.  Until that time, I think the plugins functions are
fairly visible (as Lin pointed out) since the entry is always in the view.

Joe

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I'm not sure what to think of this.  On the one hand I like the idea
of having "plugins" at the top level of the menu because they are the
foundation of the server and should get top billing :-).  On the other
hand, all the single-type items under applications (e.g. ears, wars,
ejbs, rars, system modules) are all displaying some sets of pllugins,
so we could easily make a case for moving all of them under the
"plugins" item, which leaves the old item rather bare.

I guess we could put the "deploy new" and plan creator stuff by itself?

I guess I'm fine with either way.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
It seems pretty easy to find right now...  You dont have to expand the
"Applications" to see "Plugins".

Lin