Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by phillip rhodes <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/29 19:12:01 UTC

Why can't tapestry have LGPL code?

I came across a bugzilla issue for tapestry in which
LGPL code needed to be removed from tapestry.

I would like to understand why tapestry cannot have
this code with this type of licensing?

I am interested in this because I am in the process of
writing and releasing the killer tapestry-based app
that incorporates a Identify/authorization server with
a portal/CMS/ecommerce/survey/forum/survey
capabilities.  I am not kidding.   This baby has 120
database tables.

Thanks for your help.
Phillip Rhodes

Re: Why can't tapestry have LGPL code?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
For the record - it's not a problem to mix and match ASL, GPL, and
LGPL in your own applications.  Apache itself does not allow non-
ASL'd code to be released from its codebases directly because that
changes whether something is wholly ASL'd or not.  It's best to keep
the code distributed by Apache to be purely ASL for legal and
perceptual reasons.

It does cause some headaches with projects like Tapestry that require
non-ASL'd libraries, but in the end the goal is have confidence that
the binaries you get from apache.org are ASL'd and if you mix it with
other licenses that is your business and for you and your lawyer to
discuss :)

     Erik

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
Specifically, the GPL and LGPL have a "copyleft" clause.  The Apache
License does not.  Read more about that here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#WhatIsCopyleft

Read more about Apache/GPL compatibility here:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Paul

Posted by David Leangen <dl...@canada.com>.