Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Stephen Kahmann <st...@inovexcorp.com> on 2015/04/11 04:54:00 UTC

OBR deployment error feedback

Hi,

We have been experiencing some issues deploying artifacts to Karaf 3.0.3 using the obr feature with a cave repository. It seems that some deployment problems are not reporting errors to the user.

  1.  When an artifact exists in more than one cave repository, deploying that artifact via the obr feature results in an http 500 error saying the artifact exists in more than one repository. For one, I'm not sure why this is an issue. More than one index should be able to host an identical artifact. For another, the 500 error should be propagated to the user so they see that there is an issue. Currently the artifact just isn't deployed to the client karaf instance, but the feature states that it was deployed.
  2.  We are deploying from a Cave instance hosted in a different geographical location over VPN. I believe we are having some network issues that result in some artifacts failing to be deployed. Unfortunately, the OBR feature does not report that it was unable to deploy some of the required artifacts. It simply skips the ones that wouldn't deploy, and you are not able to  start your required bundle. You have to go through and try individually redeploying the skipped artifacts.

I think for starters, the obr client implementation should check to see if all artifacts were deployed successfully, and if not, there should be some output to that effect. Additionally,  it may be a good idea to retry artifact retrieval if there is a failure if that is not already happening. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Stephen