Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/25 22:00:58 UTC

[VOTE] Release Pivot 2.0.5

Hi All,

the Pivot 2.0.5 release candidate has been tagged, packaged, and is
ready for a vote.
The artifacts, RAT reports, and KEYS file can be found here:
http://people.apache.org/~smartini/pivot-2.0.5_release/

Note that just for convenience there are even Maven bundles for
installing them in a real Maven Repository:
http://people.apache.org/~smartini/pivot-2.0.5_maven/

The tag from which the release artifacts were generated can be found here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/tags/2.0.5/

In addition, my PGP public code signing key can be found at the MIT
key server (http://pgp.mit.edu/), but just for convenience that key is
even here:
http://people.apache.org/~smartini/F9EDAF10.asc , and
smartini_apache.asc is only a copy of it with a better name.

Please vote to publish this release by Monday , July 03 at 12:00 GMT.
Note that voting may conclude early if people have the time to look
earlier (but in any case, minimum 72 hours).

Remember that the Apache Voting Process requires a minimum of 3
Bindings +1 vote for the release to be successful (see the "Votes on
Package Release" paragraph).

In your vote, please include the testing you performed to arrive at your vote.

[  ] +1 Publish
[  ] +0
[  ] -0
[  ] -1 Don't publish

Thanks,
Sandro

Re: [VOTE] Release Pivot 2.0.5

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
The vote passes with 3 binding +1, 0 non-binding +1, and no 0 or -1.

We'll post the final binaries to the site and the central Maven repo
shortly (during the week-end, if possible before).

Thank you very much to all who participated in this release !!

Re: [VOTE] Release Pivot 2.0.5

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
My vote:

[ X ] +1 Publish

Tests done:

* Verified the source "rat.txt" file, and that all files are as expected.
* Spot check the source "rat.xml" file.
* Download the "src.tar.gz" file, verify the MD5 and SHA checksums
* Compare unzipped contents against the tags/2.0.5 source
* Download the "src.zip" file, verify the MD5 and SHA checksums
* Compare the unzipped source against tags/2.0.5 source
* Inspect the "rat.txt" and "rat.xml" files for the binaries
* Download the "tar.gz" (binaries) file, verify the MD5 and SHA checksums
* Download the "zip" (binaries) file, verify the MD5 and SHA checksums
* Compare the untarred with the unzipped binary distribution
* Inspect the Javadoc, including the color palette image
* Inspect the LICENSE, NOTICE, README and RELEASE-NOTES files
* Listed the jar contents of all jars in the "lib" directory
* Compare tags/2.0.5 with current branches/2.0.x
* Ran some demo and tutorials

Things I noticed (not show-stoppers):
* The copyright date in the NOTICE file is 2014 ... probably should be
2017, but ...

Thanks, let's do this thing...
~Roger

Re: [VOTE] Release Pivot 2.0.5

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
The 2.0.x branch still only requires Java 6; this is to maintain
backward compatibility with 2.0.4, since it is only a bug fix release,
basically.  For "trunk" though (that will be 2.1, probably), we are now
requiring Java 8...

HTH,
~Roger

Re: [VOTE] Release Pivot 2.0.5

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
+1 from me.

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: [VOTE] Release Pivot 2.0.5

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
this is my vote:

> [x] +1 Publish

Test Platform: Windows 10,
Oracle JDK 6 Update 45 (64 bit) and Oracle JDK 7 Update 80 (64 bit)
for building sources,
Java Runtime 8 Update 131 (64 bit) to use inside Browsers (Firefox 54,
Chrome 59, Internet Explorer 11).

Test Platform2: Ubuntu-10.04.4 at 32 bit,
Oracle JDK 6 Update 45 (64 bit) and Oracle JDK 7 Update 80 (64 bit)
for building sources,
Java Runtime 6 Update 26 (32 bit) to use inside Browsers (Firefox).

- review digital sign on all asc files, using PGP / GPG (gpg --verify
<file.asc>)
- inspect content for all zip and tar.gz files, and checked md5
- review RAT reports
- check correctness of the tag in subversion

Tests on Binary:

- check md5 on apache-pivot-2.0.5.zip

- check that root files are good (README, LICENSE, BUILD, RELEASE-NOTES, etc)
- open and inspect all pivot jars to ensure the content is right
- open javadoc index, and tested some random pages
- open war files and check contents
- deploy demos and tutorials wars in a local tomcat 7.0.78 instance,
and verify that:
the two web applications are working,
that all links are good (pages, applets, web start applications),
and that all pages have the right content inside
by browsing to [pivot-demos](http://localhost:8080/pivot-demos/) ,
[pivot-tutorials](http://localhost:8080/pivot-tutorials/) to be able
to run our self-signed applications).
Note that in my Windows Test machine I wasn't able to run Java Web
Start applications (due to some problems in my PC),
while in my Ubuntu Test machine I was able to run Web Start applications.
Note that Applets are no more supported in modern browsers (all platforms).

Tests on Sources:

- check md5 on apache-pivot-2.0.5-src.zip

- check that root files are good (README, LICENSE, BUILD, RELEASE-NOTES, etc)
- build test environment: ant-1.9.9, junit-4.12, maven-3.5.0 (with JDK 7 and 8),
maven-ant-tasks-2.1.3
- execute the following ant commands with JDK 6 (and then even with JDK 7):
clean, dist, clean, install, maven-install (only with JDK 7), and
ensure that all works good
- inspected generated artifacts (zip, jars)
- inspected installed artifacts in a local maven repository

Bye,
Sandro