Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk> on 2009/11/03 12:13:30 UTC

An ill borker brings down the whole cluster

Hi All,

We have two qpid 0.5 brokers running in cluster mode on two different boxes. The cluster works fine in normal cases, ie, if broker1 is shutdown cleanly, broker2 will keep on serving clients. But today we found one broker suddenly lost response to all connected clients and admin tools. All producer and consumer clients are still connected but failed to consume any messages from the queue. The command line admin tool failed with a time out error. The only error message we found is in the log of broker 1, which said this:

2009-oct-31 10:17:49 error 172.27.34.201:9908(READY/error) channel error 157487219 on 172.27.34.201:9908-389(local): transport-busy: Channel 1 already attached to guest@QPID.amq.failover676a76fa-56
64-4e49-9bee-0538532fe261 (qpid/amqp_0_10/SessionHandler.cpp:150) (unresolved: 172.27.34.201:9908 172.27.34.202:13287 )

After only restarted broker 1, everything starts to work again. So surprisingly it seems when one of the brokers in the cluster suffered a problem, the whole cluster just stalled, at least from the consumer's point of view ( I can't be sure if the producer was working during the down time, after back to normal, consumer did receive messages sent sometime ago ). Consumer program uses FailoverManager and AsyncSession, basically not far from the failover example in the qpid developing doc. So can anyone please tell me what the above error message means and have we seen similar problems to the cluster before?

Regards,
Shan

________________________________
The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number 761 2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.

RE: An ill borker brings down the whole cluster

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.
Ok, I understand the exclusive queue now, but what do you mean by "aquired messages not accepted"? So if I don't use exclusive queue and heartbeat, does my client still have risk to be locked up? If so, under what condition?

Also does anyone know what does the following error mean?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
The main reason for setting heartbeat is to fail the client from one
node of the cluster to another faster + have the broker 'release' any
resources fro re-use associated with that session, for example
'exclusive' queues.

In connection settings:

    uint16_t heartbeat;
    /**
     * The maximum number of channels that the client will request for
     * use on this connection.
     */

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.
Hi Carl,

Does that mean if there is a un-responsive broker in the cluster, all the other brokers will have to wait for it? I was getting the impression that if a broker in a cluster is not behaving normally, client should failover to another broker automatically.

In my case, I haven't set any heartbeat in ConnectionSettings explicitly, the cluster worked most of the time, so I guess the default heartbeat interval is fine. If the heartbeat works fine, then the ill broker must have passed the "heartbeat check", ie, it sends out heartbeat normally, may even receive messages from producer client normally, but somehow some of its threads was dead-lock so that it couldn't respond to consumer request and admin requests. Except the plug-in, is there anything else I can do to remove un-responsive brokers?

Unfortunately the channel error I sent in the original mail is the only error log I have(log level was set to warning+). There's one factor may contribute to the problem: We run qpid-tool on both of the two brokers every 5 minutes to collect stats. Because of the cluster, the two qpid-tool processes are actually monitoring the same queues. Is it possible that the two qpid-tool had conflict problem there? Is there any known problem for this?

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.
Hi Carl,

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 11/04/2009 10:36 AM, Shan Wang wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> The whole cluster lost response, but qpid-tool is still able to connect to broker2 but not broker1, based on that I suppose it's broker1 became ill, and restart of broker1 cured the whole cluster.
>
> The full log of broker1 from 31-OCT is attached. Now we have turned log levels to info+ and will apply --log-enable=debug+:cluster later.
>
> Before hanging, there are many clients sending messages to the cluster, I don't know the exact number of clients but usually between 150-200, the update rate was about 5-10 MB/minute. The receiver was receiving messages ok but suddenly stopped working. I believe the receiver stopped working before sender, because after things back to normal, we can see very old messages in the receiver's log, but not relative recent messages commited after the problem.
>
> The affected system carries pretty serious tasks so I can't play with it as I wish, nor did I try the sender/receiver example. But as my latest email said, the problem re-occurred this morning, this time with broker2.
>

> The given link could be a similar issue, but the question is what caused errors in cluster?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to  you.

I think you're seeing a combination of 2 issues:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=529489 could cause the "already
attached" error if you have a lot of sessions.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=514487 could cause the cluster to
hang if you get "already attached" errors simultaneously on 2 different cluster
members.

Both of these are fixed for the next release

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.
I'm not sure if we hit the max limit or not, I opt to believe not, because we've never seen any complains about number of connections in the log. And yes what you described is the desired behaviour.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.
The same problem happened again this morning, on a different broker but without any errors logged.

Another question is, if there are more client connections than the default limit 300, what will the broker react? Will it just reject any new connections? Will there be any logs for this and will the existing clients be affected?

Client side we are still using 0.4, I'm not sure about the exact version, should be last version before 0.5.
Cluster side we are using 0.5.752581-26.el5.

Unfortunately I haven't got the environment to build qpid myself so I can't use latest trunk.

> On 11/03/2009 06:13 AM, Shan Wang wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We have two qpid 0.5 brokers running in cluster mode on two different
>> boxes. The cluster works fine in normal cases, ie, if broker1 is
>> shutdown cleanly, broker2 will keep on serving clients. But today we
>> found one broker suddenly lost response to all connected clients and
>> admin tools. All producer and consumer clients are still connected
>> but failed to consume any messages from the queue. The command line
>> admin tool failed with a time out error. The only error message we
>> found is in the log of broker 1, which said this:
>>
>> 2009-oct-31 10:17:49 error 172.27.34.201:9908(READY/error) channel
>> error 157487219 on 172.27.34.201:9908-389(local): transport-busy:
>> Channel 1 already attached to guest@QPID.amq.failover676a76fa-56
>> 64-4e49-9bee-0538532fe261 (qpid/amqp_0_10/SessionHandler.cpp:150)
>> (unresolved: 172.27.34.201:9908 172.27.34.202:13287 )
>>
>> After only restarted broker 1, everything starts to work again. So
>> surprisingly it seems when one of the brokers in the cluster suffered
>> a problem, the whole cluster just stalled, at least from the
>> consumer's point of view ( I can't be sure if the producer was
>> working during the down time, after back to normal, consumer did
>> receive messages sent sometime ago ). Consumer program uses
>> FailoverManager and AsyncSession, basically not far from the failover
>> example in the qpid developing doc. So can anyone please tell me what
>> the above error message means and have we seen similar problems to
>> the cluster before?
>>

> There have been a number of cluster bugs fixed since 0.5, some of
> which had the symptom of a "transport-busy" exception. Can you try a
> trunk build and see if you have the same problems?

or what distro and version of qpid are you running?

Posted by Shan Wang <Sh...@igindex.co.uk>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
yes.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.