Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2013/09/08 04:21:13 UTC

Re: Lightweight /miscellaneous user tests

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> one idea I had was to have a submodule for unrelated/miscellaneous "contrib"
>  tests so that people could just add shell scripts into a resources directory
> and mvn verify would just run each as a test.

We've got this one:

Let us know if this is close to what you have in mind.

> This would allow people to use bigtops test framework along with their
> own custom smokes, without having to create new maven submodules.

Right, so that was the idea behind BIGTOP-769 -- be able
to bridge into existing frameworks in a generic way.

> I'm not sure it's a perfect idea but just want to see if anyone else wants this ,
> if so it would be nice to add a miscellaneous test module into test artifacts
> that runs all the shell scripts in resources/ and passes/fails accordingly.

I think it would be really useful to have a simple bridge into
shell-based tests. More complexity above that (e.g. bridging
into, lets say, PySys) might just be a point of diminishing returns.

Thanks,
Roman.