Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2002/08/01 13:30:20 UTC

Progressive parsing

(this mails has been posted on general@xml.apache.org but had no answer,
giving a try here)

Hi,

Here's a simple problem: one of our applications reads a row of XML
documents, all using the same DTD declarations. If I understand well, at
least from the SAX or JAXP interfaces, the parser will read the DTD(s)
completely everytime.
This looks like a real resource loss. Do some parsers, and preferably a
standard, have a way to avoid this and re-use the same parsed DTD
everytime ??

A related fact is in the building of an XML editor where you offer the
user the ability to edit the source code: what you would like is that
the internal XML representation becomes updated quickly (ideally all the
time). For this, however, we would need the parser to be able to only
parse, say, the biggest element containing the changes.
And for this, some more information should be kept, at least something
similar to a stack of namespaces for each location.

Did anyone hear of such approaches ??
I just heard libxml had a notion of loaded DTD (and I think Xerces has
it as well) but I really do not know how to do it to indicate to Xerces
how to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul