Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/01 08:35:22 UTC

Re: Trouble with aggregating definitions.xml in distro

Hi Sebastien,

Yes, I will try the scenarios you have mentioned and see if things work fine
with the transformer.

Please see my comments inline for the discussion specific to this thread.

Thanks

- Venkat

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <
jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:

> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> > Raymond Feng wrote:
> >> My understanding is that there are two different issues here:
> >>
> >> 1) Where definitions.xml should be packaged in a SCA contribution?
> >> 2) How do we merge multiple definitions.xml when we build the
> >> all-in-one binary distro?
> >>
> >> So I assume Sebastien's proposal is for 1) and the maven/shade
> >> discussion is for 2).
> >>
> >> Am I right? If yes, we should have two separate threads as it becomes
> >> confusing.
> >
> > My proposal handled 1 (not forcing definitions.xml to be in a fixed
> > location in the JAR) and 2 (as it didn't require any XML merging).
> >
> > My latest comments below in this email apply to 2 (I'm basically saying
> > "if you really want to do this XML merging, then make sure it works").
> >
> > I'm branching a new thread for 1 :)
> >

> Here's your new thread, starting with two statements:
>
> I think that contributors should be able to place their definitions.xml
> files wherever they want in an SCA contribution JAR.

I suppose that's the way it is right now.  The definitions.xml is processed
as any other artifact in a contribution and can be anywhere.

Its only for the definitions.xml file we are packaging in the tuscany
modules - as part of the runtime do we have the issue of placing them in a
well know place.  This is because these definitions.xml  1) don't get to be
treated as a contribution artifact 2) they need to be read before
contribution artifacts are read and resolved.  So to load them during the
runtime startup we are using the ServiceDiscovery to locate all
definitions.xml across Tuscany modules and the ServiceDiscovery needs to be
give a specific location.

> I also think that we'll have to support external policy attachments at
> some point (see the Open CSA POLICY-15 JIRA already discussed on
> tuscany-dev on other threads), and these policy attachments won't be in
> a fixed place in the contributions either.

I guess these attachments would get to be treated the same way as
definitions.xml in the sense, as any other artifact.