Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Václav Tolar <Va...@cleverlance.com> on 2008/07/18 14:41:33 UTC

OpenSocial JS API in container context?

Hi all,

Is possible to use opensocial javascript API in container context (from my html pages) directly?

Thanks,
Vasek

Václav Tolar
J2EE Senior Developer
Cleverlance - The Clever Enterprise Solutions
www.cleverlance.com<http://www.cleverlance.com>

European Business Center
Dukelských hrdinů 34
170 00 Praha 7
Czech Republic

Mobil: +420 605 439 657
Tel.: +420 266 177 166
Fax: +420 266 177 155

Re: OpenSocial JS API in container context?

Posted by "Matthew (Chewy) Trewhella" <ch...@google.com>.

> Also don't overlook the possibility of creating an open social gadget,
> there is a potential audience of aprox 300 mil (i don't know what the exact
> number is today, it was 280 before and it's growing rapidly), so quite often
> when you have a great idea, making a gadget and posting it on those social
> network sites (myspace, orkut, hi5, imeem, idtail, netlog, etc etc etc) is a
> great way to reach a large audience and can save a lot of work of having to
> attract people to go visit your own site. It's not always the best option,
> but depending on your concept, sometimes it is :)

Sorry to digress, but you've actually bought up a really interesting point
there.
I used to work on the Adwords Customer support team over at Google, which
meant assisting big customers with technical (non-ads) issues, like using
the Google Maps API, or deploying gadgets for iGoogle (which are basically
non-social apps, or min-webpages, as I'm sure you all know).
I spent a lot of time talking to them about gadgets, and deploying content.

For most of 2007, there was general fear and discomfort over gadgets,
because a lot of large companies thought they were losing control of their
content.
Just before I left that team, in march 2008, I was starting to see a real
shift in perception. More and more, these same companies were starting to
measure traffic on gadgets just like a regular web page, using javascript to
see how people interacted, and driving people back to their sites.
I obviously still speak to that team, and I'm told it's only got 'worse'.
More and more of these companies are entirely comfortable deploying really
quite advanced technology offsite, as long as they get something in return.

So, Václav, although what we think you're asking isn't possible, I think you
might be surprised how much usage a well-thought-out app can generate.

RE: OpenSocial JS API in container context?

Posted by Václav Tolar <Va...@cleverlance.com>.
Hi all,

In which state is RESTful API java implementation in Shindig? Is it ready for production usage?

Thanks,
Vaclav

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Kevin Marks <ke...@gmail.com>.
Google's Friend Connect project is designed to enable any website to
become a social sites by making them into OpenSocial containers, and
to connect in data from Social networks their users choose to link
together, and to send activity stream flows back to the connected
sites. Once sites implement the RESTful APIs we expect to be able to
connect them too.

http://www.google.com/friendconnect/

You can see some example sites here:

http://www.google.com/friendconnect/home/examples

and a site that embeds debug gadgets here:

http://kmgfctest.blogspot.com/

Would this solve your problem?

Posted by Cassie <do...@apache.org>.
Vaclav -