Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by laredotornado <la...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/27 21:04:10 UTC

Possible to redeploy a JAR file without restarting Tomcat?

Hi,

I'm using Tomcat 6.0.26.  There is one JAR file I repeatedly rebuild and
deploy and I was wondering if there is any way, obscure or otherwise, to
deploy this JAR file without having to restart Tomcat.

Thanks for any insights, - Dave

RE: Possible to redeploy a JAR file without restarting Tomcat?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: laredotornado [mailto:laredotornado@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Possible to redeploy a JAR file without restarting Tomcat?
>
> So would restarting one of my applicaitons pick up the new
> shared JAR and all the other apps would continue to use the
> old version?

No - read the first response.  Anything in the shared directories is handled by the common classloader.  You have to restart Tomcat to get it to read any updated jars.  Restarting individual webapps is irrelevant in this situation.

 - Chuck

Re: Possible to redeploy a JAR file without restarting Tomcat?

Posted by laredotornado <la...@gmail.com>.
Regarding "restarting" an application, the JAR file in question is in a
common shared directory by all applications and each application has its
files deployed in a folder within the CATALINA_HOME/webapps directory.

So would restarting one of my applicaitons pick up the new shared JAR and
all the other apps would continue to use the old version? - Dave

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.