Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com> on 2018/06/08 01:57:52 UTC

License issue with iText 4.2.0

Hi All,

I just noticed that the iText maven bundle is a bit tricksy and includes
iText 5.6.6 as a dependency, with the latter being GPL licensed.  You can
see it by running "./gradlew -q dependencies":
+--- com.lowagie:itext:4.2.0
|    \--- com.itextpdf:itextpdf:5.5.6

I haven't checked to see if the later version is actually used by our code
and I'm not sure if merely downloading it causes licensing issues, but I
thought I'd bring the question here in case anyone else has already looked
into it.  Not sure what the work-around would be if it is an issue.

Regards
Scott

Re: License issue with iText 4.2.0

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 30/06/2018 à 11:33, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> The issue here is that you clearly know what my position is (you
> quoted it) and you decided somehow that you have lazy consensus!
When I wrote about the lazy consensus, I did not clearly remember your position.
Because in the meantime we exchanged with Scott and it was clear to me I was right from start.
I had to look back to see your point. I understand your reaction now, sorry for ignoring it.

> Anyway, I don't see a problem in reverting to 2.1.7 as scott
> suggested,
Err, I suggested that long before ago, but you and some others, including Scott, did not agree.
I had to get deeper and deeper to convince "everybody", I must say, including myself.

> but I suggest the comment to be simply "Will not update due
> to license change in newer versions" or something like that. There is
> no reason to mention BIRT or anything else outside the framework.
I agree, we can remove the mention of Birt in the comment. And you are right, better keep the comment simple and focused.
It was just as a reminder because in Birt jar they also still use 2.17 and there is some information which tends to explain why.
But anyway this is also in this convo now and I just did the changes for OFBIZ-10455

Chapter close, I'll not answer more on this thread.
Thank you for taking care, and thanks to Scott for initially revealing the license issue for the itextpdf dependent lib.

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
The issue here is that you clearly know what my position is (you
quoted it) and you decided somehow that you have lazy consensus!

Anyway, I don't see a problem in reverting to 2.1.7 as scott
suggested, but I suggest the comment to be simply "Will not update due

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I guess you mean

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

@team: what do you think? I'd not even ask for 4.2.0 because I expect a negative answer. But if you prefer we can add it.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
My first inclination is that taking legal advice from a company that is
trying to sell you a license, probably isn't a good idea.  They have a
vested interest in trying to convince you not to use the MIT version.

Regardless, I think Taher's solution works in the short term and the other
alternative is to revert back to a 2.x version until a suitable replacement
is found.  Looking at the commit logs it hasn't been very long since we

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for your report Scott,

After checking as much as I can, here are my conclusions:

As you reported "com.itextpdf:itextpdf:5.5.6" can't be used, it's AGPL so incompatible with ASL2

Taher suggested to simply exclude loading it. So only loading "com.lowagie:itext:4.2.0" which is MPL/GPL

But then we still face an issue as explained here https://developers.itextpdf.com/question/versions-older-than-5

<<Some people claim that they use iText 4.2.0, but that version has never been officially released>>

So it's not legally tenable.

This same FAQ entry is also about iText 2.1.7. The original archived stackoverflow question is easier to read: https://s.apache.org/4QUU

So the same should apply to it as Lowagie (the author) says. But this is were I think he is going too far.

Until proven otherwise, iText 2.1.7 has been officially released under an MPL/GPL license under Lowagie's responsibility (he did release it)

And especially it's used by Eclipse Birt Runtime, the whole under an EPL license, so I expect legally tenable.

You can find the iText 2.1.7 jar in every BIRT runtime package: http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/ or
http://archive.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/build_list.php (we use 3.7.1)

The most interesting part is in com.lowagie.text_2.1.7.v201004222200.jar
Inside this jar we can read in the about.html that the original itext-2.1.7.jar. is used (no modifications) same for itext Asian 1.5.2 version.
There are more legal information in about_files/misc_licenses.txt and as far as I understand the only IP infringement would be to use itext-2.1.7.jar
in a nuclear context. Last Sun license version says:

<<You acknowledge that this software is not designed or intended for
  use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any
  nuclear facility.>>

So for me, as long as we follow the misc. requirements in the misc_licenses.txt file  in our LICENSE and possibly NOTICE file/s there should be no
problems using this "patch" in our main build.gradle
     -    compile 'com.lowagie:itext:4.2.0'
     +    //compile 'com.lowagie:itext:2.1.7' // don't update because of license issue. The BIRT runtime package uses the same.

We are sure that the 2.1.7 version will work because the code which uses itext is from pre Apache Era (in PdfSurveyServices.java and CompDocServices.java)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
And for those who are not convinced: https://developers.itextpdf.com/question/can-i-use-itext-without-respecting-agpl-license

jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> com.lowagie.text.* is included in the 3.6.1 BIRT runtime jar that we use, and there is a legal agreement between the BIRT team and Bruno Lowagie to
> use this version[1].
To be clear here, as you (Taher) outlined, we still need to have in our main build.gradle
/compile 'com.lowagie:itext:2.1.7' // don't update because of license change/

Jacques

Re: License issue with iText 4.2.0

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 12/06/2018 à 11:56, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> First of all, I think it's always a bad idea to "comment out" any
> code, and the general rule of thumb is to prefer deleting.
Mmm, what? I just commented out to test. Your comment makes no sense to me, you could have avoided it.
Of course it's to be deleted if we get this way, should I have said that for you to understand, or?

> Second, the framework and plugins are two separate projects. You
> cannot crash the standalone framework so that the plugins can work,
> because you're making the framework depend on plugins.
Right, then the solution, like I suggested before, seems to use the itext 2.1.7 version which "has no legal issue", compile and run.
com.lowagie.text.* is included in the 3.6.1 BIRT runtime jar that we use, and there is a legal agreement between the BIRT team and Bruno Lowagie to
use this version[1].

Lowagie says there are still legal issues with itext 2.1.7 and older versions as explained at
https://developers.itextpdf.com/question/versions-older-than-5
This post says there is no longer a copy in stackoverflow but actually there is an archive: https://s.apache.org/4QUU, anyway same text.
So just looking at the license is not enough.

Now something more, I checked the last version (4.7.0) of the BIRT runtine and it contains com.lowagie.text_2.1.7.v201004222200.jar
Inside the jar I read in the about.html that the original itext-2.1.7.jar. is used (no modifications) same for itext Asian 1.5.2 version.
There are more legal information in about_files\misc_licenses.txt and as far as I understand the only IP infringement would be to use itext-2.1.7.jar
in a nuclear context:

<<You acknowledge that this software is not designed or intended for
  use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any
  nuclear facility.>>

So for me, as long as we warn our users about this nuclear restriction there should be no problem using com.lowagie.text_2.1.7.v201004222200.jar
Please check the content of about_files\misc_licenses.txt in case I missed something.

Of course we should ask the legal team before taking a formal decision about it.
I think we have now enough material to ask, and I'll create a LEGAL Jira in a week. Please speak before if you think I missed something

Jacques
[1] Damned I can't find it again, but anyway it's not the problem. The problem is possible IP infringement in any itext versions before 5.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Are we sure there are no legal issues doing so?
>
> It seems OK at https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.lowagie/itext/4.2.0 (MPL)
>
> But reading https://developers.itextpdf.com/question/versions-older-than-5 which applies also to 4.2.0 (see bottom "Some people claim that they use
> iText 4.2.0, but that version has never been officially released") itext seems a legal issue globally (not only itextpdf)
>
> Maybe we should ask legal?
>
> Also from few tests I did, it seems we don't need it to render PDF with Birt. Please confirm...

Did someone else tests?
Since it works for me w/  "compile 'com.lowagie:itext" commented out after clearing the Gradle cache from all itext files I believe it should work for

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Flexible Birt reports works as well w/o itext.

Not sure though why itext is embedded in Birt and what for it's used

It seems used for digital signature and accessibility at least:

https://communities.opentext.com/forums/discussion/57615/birt-and-digital-signature

https://communities.opentext.com/forums/discussion/52337/how-do-you-create-an-accessible-pdf-report-with-birt

So maybe removing it will be sufficient OOTB...

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Actually at least simple Birt PDF files (in ordermgr/control/OrderPurchaseReportOptions)  are rendered w/o itext.
Note: of course I removed ALL itext files from Gradle cache

Re: License issue with iText 4.2.0

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Actually at least simple Birt PDF files (in ordermgr/control/OrderPurchaseReportOptions)  are rendered w/o itext.

I'll try later for more complex ones at birt/control/ListFlexibleReport

Jacques

> One question though: do we need itext to render PDF with Birt? I did not test that...
>

> Le 08/06/2018 à 14:24, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> But the problem is still:
>>
>> >But that sounds not good https://developers.itextpdf.com/question/versions-older-than-5
>>
>> and especially http://lowagie.com/iText (the original author) + http://lowagie.com/itext2016
>>

>> Le 08/06/2018 à 14:21, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>> Not sure,
>>>
>>> At least I tried to create Last3MonthsSalesReport.pdf with
>>>
>>> compile 'com.lowagie:itext:2.1.7' // don't update because of license change
>>>
>>> and it works (empty):
>>>
>>> 2018-06-08 14:16:12,909 |jsse-nio-8443-exec-6 |ScreenFactory                 |I| Got 8 screens in 0.006s from:
>>> file:/C:/projectsASF/ofbiz/plugins/birt/widget/order/OrderScreens.xml
>>> 2018-06-08 14:16:12,953 |jsse-nio-8443-exec-6 |UtilProperties                |I| ResourceBundle BirtUiLabels (fr) created in 0.044s with 54
>>> properties
>>> [...]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
But the problem is still:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Not sure,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Oops you were clear, my bad.

That's indeed an issue and we can't force itext 4.2.0 to use another compatible itextpdf version.

Because itext 4.2.0 has a dependency on itextpdf from start and itextpdf is AGPL from start

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.lowagie/itext

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.itextpdf/itextpdf

I suspect itext versions before 4.2.0 were not able of supporting PDF rendering

Now our dependency come out of Birt. So maybe we need to update Birt?

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/175386/ (and links there)

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hey Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.