Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alexandru David Constantinescu <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/09 10:19:46 UTC

[users@httpd] hardware for proxy

Hello to all

I plan to implement a proxy server for apache. The idea is to act like a
firewall, proxy , load balancer and cache. It must  serve around 2000
sites. The backend servers I don't know for now how many will be, but I
am prepare to start with 2 or 3 and in case of heavy load , increase
this number. My question is what hardware do you recommend for proxy. do
  I need fast cpu's or lots of core's. In terms of ram the things are
clear : apache need ram. Do you recommend scsi or sata disks etc ?
If someone have experience or suggestions please give me a sign.
Thanks
Alex

Re: [users@httpd] hardware for proxy

Posted by Alexandru David Constantinescu <al...@gmail.com>.
solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> [...]
I appreciate your answer. Now I have a point to start.
Thank you all

alex

[users@httpd] Re: hardware for proxy

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-09-11 12:52:06, schrieb solprovider@apache.org:
> Network overhead is difficult to estimate.  IPv4 adds 32-36 bytes per

You mean 40 Bytes because the MTU is 1500 Bytes and
a standard TCP header is 40 Bytes = 1460 Bytes (MRU)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: [users@httpd] hardware for proxy

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 9/11/08, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> > On 9/10/08, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>  > > On 09.09.08 21:23, solprovider@apache.org wrote:
>  > >  > 5000 reqs/sec @ 20 KB/req = 100 MB/sec = 1Gbps.  One gigabit network1
>  > >  it's even 800, not 1000 Mbits per second...
>  > >  Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
>  > Rough conversion (from the old days) was:
>  > 1 byte of data
>  > = 8 bits on disk
>  > = 10 bits of network traffic
> this was also correct in modem times. I don't think that network
>  (http/tcp/ip) headers cause that big overhead now :) Yes, it depends on size
>  of average requests... However we should count that into average size of
>  request...

Network overhead is difficult to estimate.  IPv4 adds 32-36 bytes per
packet; IPv6 adds 60-64 bytes per packet.  Packet size has a large
effect --  smaller packets require more packets with more protocol
overhead ; larger packets waste more space in the final packet.  Then
add non-data packets e.g. ACKs.  My 25% overhead (2 bits overhead per
8 bits data) has produced reasonable estimates.

>  > = 13 bits of encrypted (SSL) network traffic
> Interesting, I guess that mostly applies to SSL handshake overhead. I don't
>  have the numbers but I guess encrypted text should not be much bigger than
>  non-encrypted.

I once read that encryption added 20-30%.  Modern streaming encryption
seems more efficient, but adds handshake overhead per transmission.
Again, my 30% overhead has produced reasonable working estimates.

>  Does somebody have the data?
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/

Ditto.  I would like better estimates, or at least more details to
support my current calculations.

solprovider

Re: [users@httpd] hardware for proxy

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 10.09.08 11:36, solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> Thanks.  Back in the modem days, baud was (correctly) shorthand for
> bps.  Wikipedia states that is no longer valid.

it was right only for 300baud/bps modems, all other had higher bit than
bayud rate ;)

> >  it's even 800, not 1000 Mbits per second...
> >  Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
>
> Rough conversion (from the old days) was:
> 1 byte of data
> = 8 bits on disk
> = 10 bits of network traffic

this was also correct in modem times. I don't think that network
(http/tcp/ip) headers cause that big overhead now :) Yes, it depends on size
of average requests... However we should count that into average size of
request...

> = 13 bits of encrypted (SSL) network traffic

Interesting, I guess that mostly applies to SSL handshake overhead. I don't
have the numbers but I guess encrypted text should not be much bigger than
non-encrypted.

Does somebody have the data?

Re: [users@httpd] hardware for proxy

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 9/10/08, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
> On 09.09.08 21:23, solprovider@apache.org wrote:
>  > 5000 reqs/sec @ 20 KB/req = 100 MB/sec = 1Gbaud.  One gigabit network1
>
>  please don't mess bauds and bits per second. it's something very different.
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud

Thanks.  Back in the modem days, baud was (correctly) shorthand for
bps.  Wikipedia states that is no longer valid.

>  it's even 800, not 1000 Mbits per second...
>  Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/

Rough conversion (from the old days) was:
1 byte of data
= 8 bits on disk
= 10 bits of network traffic
= 13 bits of encrypted (SSL) network traffic
Data compression can reduce the traffic up to 50%.

Maintaining 800 MB per second without compression may completely fill
a gigabit network connection.  The OP would want a second network
connection to avoid running at full capacity and handle spikes.

solprovider

Re: [users@httpd] Re: hardware for proxy

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 07.10.08 23:35, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Your calculation is based on ONE start-bit and one stop-bit

>     Baud = TransferedBits - ControlBits

No. baud = signal change per second. One signal change can transfer less or
more than one bit. and I counted 1 byte = 8 bits, which is independent on
number of stop bits.

However this discussion is over for a long time. Could you read it whole
before you start reacting single mails?

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

[users@httpd] Re: hardware for proxy

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-09-10 11:16:22, schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 09.09.08 21:23, solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> > 5000 reqs/sec @ 20 KB/req = 100 MB/sec = 1Gbaud.  One gigabit network1
>
> please don't mess bauds and bits per second. it's something very different.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud
>
> it's even 800, not 1000 Mbits per second...

Your calculation is based on ONE start-bit and one stop-bit

Do you know, that you can have 1 1/2 or 2 bits for the stop...
You can have even parity bits and other stuff...

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 09.09.08 21:23, solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> 5000 reqs/sec @ 20 KB/req = 100 MB/sec = 1Gbaud.  One gigabit network1

please don't mess bauds and bits per second. it's something very different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud

it's even 800, not 1000 Mbits per second...
- Have you got anything without Spam in it?
- Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.

Posted by Alexandru David Constantinescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Ben Spencer wrote:
>> Ther is no SSL involve what so ever.
>> The sites are very active (it is a share hosting environment and this
>> is
>> the reason why I wanna try the proxy) and beside that we plan to
>> expand.
>> We have between 50~300 reqs/sec (depend on time of the day) with around
>> 10~20 kb/reqs and this is not the busiest server. Probably we need
>> something to hold around 5000 reqs/sec like a frontend.
>
> You have a much busier site then we are currently running. I don't have a
> clue what our requests/sec are (apart from what server-status provides)
> during any given time. The concurrent requests seem to peak out at about 120
> split roughly 50/50 between the two major applications (which means about
> 35-45% are SSL) and the box doesn't have any issues and is (per vmstat --
> forgot to mention it is a RHEL VM) 10-15% non-idle (user + sys + io wait =
> 10-15% usage). Currently, our proxy is performing some DNS lookups (DNS
> isn't on the box its self) do to how some of the access restrictions are
> done. I would assume that removing those would also lessen CPU usage.
>
> benji

Thanks again Ben. My problem is that we wanna buy the hardware but we
don't know what are the week points of this environment , cpu, ram, IO etc

Posted by Ben Spencer <be...@moody.edu>.

Posted by Alexandru David Constantinescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Ben Spencer wrote:
> How active are the sites? How complicated is the "proxy" configuration? Are
> the Proxies an SSL termination point?
>
> Server uptime: 50 days 3 hours 56 minutes 39 seconds
> Total accesses: 36316506 - Total Traffic: 1544.5 GB
> CPU Usage: u468.16 s2336.35 cu0 cs0 - .0647% CPU load
> 8.38 requests/sec - 373.7 kB/second - 44.6 kB/request
>
> Hardware:
>   Virtual Machine with 1G of ram. Really isn't working hard at all
>
> Overview:
> -) 2 major backend applications
> -) Generally load balanced between 2 backend web servers
> -) rewriting is being done for the one application
> -) the Proxy/Load Balancer is being used for SSL termination for one of the
> major applications (the application is almost 100% SSL).
>
> Each site is different and there are many variables.
>
> benji
>
> Benji Spencer
> System Administrator
>
> Moody Bible Institute
> Phone: 312-329-2288

hello Ben

Posted by Ben Spencer <be...@moody.edu>.

Posted by Alexandru David Constantinescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Evert Lammerts wrote:
> Why would you start out with implementing a single point of failure?
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Alexandru David Constantinescu
> <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello to all
>>
>> I plan to implement a proxy server for apache. The idea is to act like a
>> firewall, proxy , load balancer and cache. It must  serve around 2000
>> sites. The backend servers I don't know for now how many will be, but I
>> am prepare to start with 2 or 3 and in case of heavy load , increase
>> this number. My question is what hardware do you recommend for proxy. do
>>  I need fast cpu's or lots of core's. In terms of ram the things are
>> clear : apache need ram. Do you recommend scsi or sata disks etc ?
>> If someone have experience or suggestions please give me a sign.
>> Thanks
>> Alex

"implement a proxy server for apache" it was just a way of speaking.
Allow me to reformulate : one or more proxy's like frontend balanced
from dns or other whay. My questions still remain

Posted by Evert Lammerts <ev...@gmail.com>.