Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2003/07/30 00:39:25 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Help with mod_auth...

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Jason Michael wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm running the default Apache from RedHat 9.0.  I'm trying to protect
> the file /var/www/html/protected.
>
> I created an htpasswd file at /var/www/passwd/.htpasswd.  I put in a
> test user and password.

Did you use the proper program to create the password file?

> When I navigate to a file inside the "protected" directory, I get the
> authentication popup, but it won't accept my password.  What am I doing
> wrong?

What does the error log say?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Help with mod_auth...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Jason Michael wrote:

> I used htpasswd to create the file, so I believe yes.
>
> The error page is:
> Authorization Required
> This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document
> requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password),
> or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Nope. You need to look at the error log (usually called error_log), not at
the error message returned to the browser.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Help with mod_auth...