Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Miller-Cushon, Jim" <Ji...@Cognos.COM> on 2001/10/04 15:43:33 UTC

trailing spaces on parser name

I am new to this mailing list and to open source development, so I
apologize in advance for whatever gaffs or breaches of protocol I
commit...

I recently downloaded the 1.7Beta package and found that I could not
load saved test plans because JMeter failed to instantiate the XML
parser named in jmeter.properties.  I tracked this down to the fact
that in jmeter.properties the line
"xml.parser=org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser  "
has trailing whitespace.  JMeterUtils.instantiate() eventually fails when it
calls class.forName() on the name with whitespace.

Apparently the whitespace was added in revision 1.24 of jmeter.properties
(I used the web interface to CVS because of firewall issues here).

Rather than simply fixing the .properties file, or perhaps in addition to
it,
would a more robust solution be to trim() the property value, or perhaps
just
trim() the strings in JMeterUtils.instantiate()?

JMeterUtils.getJMeterProperties() could be changed to return a subclass of
Properties that returns trimed values, or is that overkill?

I am willing to contribute some work in this area, but I'd like to be sure
I'm thinking in the right direction.
may not use, copy, disseminate, or distribute it; do not open any
attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender by
e-mail promptly that you have done so.  Thank You.