Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by fj...@superiorshelving.com on 2004/03/04 01:53:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with apachectl startssl

Hello all,

   I hope someone can help me.  Please bear with me as I try to explain
this.  We're trying to switch our Apache 2.0.47 server over to a secure
server using apachectl -DSSL.  Apache works fine if it's started with
apachectl start, but I get the following error message when I use
apachectl startssl:

root# /Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl startssl
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
0.0.0.0:443
Unable to open logs

   Watching the Activity Monitor, 1 thread is started under the root
user for about 2 seconds before it dies.  According to the above error
message, it appears as if another program has port 443 open - but there
isn't.  When Apache is running in non-ssl mode, it opens both port 80
and port 443, so maybe it's calling port 443 twice?

   I don't want to post too long of a message my first time, so if I
need to include more info to figure this out, just let me know.  Also,
if you would CC me when responding, I'd really appreciate it, as I'm on
the digest.

Thank you for any help you can give me,
Ronald