Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/08/01 22:59:49 UTC

Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

If you'd like early sight of Tomcat 8 and an opportunity to contribute
to Tomcat development, the release vote has now opened for the first
Tomcat 8 release candidate.

Features include:
- Servlet 3.1 implementation
- JSP 2.3 impelementation
- EL 3.0 implementation
- WebSocket 1.0 implementation
- Update to DBCP2 (now includes JMX monitoring)

The more folks that can test this release candidate, the better the next
one will be and the better the 8.0.0 release will be. This is your
chance to ensure that your app works on Tomcat 8 and if it doesn't get
any associated Tomcat bugs fixed early.

Details are available on the vote thread on the dev list [1].

To be clear, this is not an official release. This is the vote that
precedes the official release. If this vote passes then 8.0.0-RC1 will
be released officially, added to the mirrors, linked from the download
pages etc.

Mark

[1] http://markmail.org/message/feu2f3uqgjxauvkr

Re: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/2013 21:30, Michael-O wrote:
> Am 2013-08-02 21:26, schrieb Caldarale, Charles R:
>>> From: Michael-O [mailto:1983-01-06@gmx.net] Subject: Re: Apache
>>> Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started
>>
>>> According to Apache's JIRA DBCP2 is still in the works whereas
>>> Tomcat JDBC Pool already works quite well. If so, I would favor the
>>> first option and make Tomcat JDBC Pool the default.
>>
>> Your original message implied that the Tomcat JDBC pool was the
>> "relic" you wanted to get rid of:
>>
>>> Why if we do have the wonderful Tomcat JDBC Pool? Can't we get rid
>>> of that relic?
>>
>> Since the most recent noun in the wording before "that relic" was
>> "Tomcat JDBC Pool", I certainly interpreted "relic" as a reference to
>> Filip's creation, not the original DBCP - and I suspect Mark T did as
>> well.
>
> Oh ok,
>
> sorry for that misunderstanding. "Relic" solely referred to Commons DBCP
> and *not* Tomcat JDBC Pool.
>
> This obviously happened because I am not a native English speaker.

No problem. I assumed you meant DBCP was the relic and replied accordingly.

Mark

Re: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

Posted by Michael-O <19...@gmx.net>.
Am 2013-08-02 21:26, schrieb Caldarale, Charles R:
>> From: Michael-O [mailto:1983-01-06@gmx.net] Subject: Re: Apache
>> Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started
>
>> According to Apache's JIRA DBCP2 is still in the works whereas
>> Tomcat JDBC Pool already works quite well. If so, I would favor the
>> first option and make Tomcat JDBC Pool the default.
>
> Your original message implied that the Tomcat JDBC pool was the
> "relic" you wanted to get rid of:
>
>> Why if we do have the wonderful Tomcat JDBC Pool? Can't we get rid
>> of that relic?
>
> Since the most recent noun in the wording before "that relic" was
> "Tomcat JDBC Pool", I certainly interpreted "relic" as a reference to
> Filip's creation, not the original DBCP - and I suspect Mark T did as
> well.

Oh ok,

sorry for that misunderstanding. "Relic" solely referred to Commons DBCP
and *not* Tomcat JDBC Pool.

This obviously happened because I am not a native English speaker.

Michael

RE: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael-O [mailto:1983-01-06@gmx.net]
> Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

> According to Apache's JIRA DBCP2 is still in the works whereas Tomcat
> JDBC Pool already works quite well. If so, I would favor the first
> option and make Tomcat JDBC Pool the default.

Your original message implied that the Tomcat JDBC pool was the "relic" you wanted to get rid of:

> Why if we do have the wonderful Tomcat JDBC Pool? Can't we get rid of
> that relic?

Since the most recent noun in the wording before "that relic" was "Tomcat JDBC Pool", I certainly interpreted "relic" as a reference to Filip's creation, not the original DBCP - and I suspect Mark T did as well.

 - Chuck

Re: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/2013 21:17, Michael-O wrote:
> Am 2013-08-02 11:43, schrieb Mark Thomas:
>> Michael-O <19...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> contribute

>>>                ^^^^^
>>> Why if we do have the wonderful Tomcat JDBC Pool?
>>
>> 1. Choice (we ship both).
>> 2. Features (DBCP covers more edge cases).
>> 3. Maintainability. There is more chance of a DBCP fix at the moment.
>> That should change when Filip returns.
>> 4. Performance they should be much closer but I suspect Tomcat JDBC
>> will be faster (those edge cases again).
>
> According to Apache's JIRA DBCP2 is still in the works

The bulk of the work was in Pool 2 and that has been complete for a
while. There are some discussions about further simplification of the
Pool 2 API but the core pooling code is ready and is unlikely to change.

The work to convert DBCP to use Pool 2 has been completed. DBCP
currently has a number of open bugs and enhancement requests and that is
holding up a formal release as a number of them are likely to trigger
API changes both in Pool 2 and DBCP 2.

In short, the core of DBCP2 is ready to go but the API is not stable.
Getting it into the Tomcat 8 RC's is part of getting feedback to help
stablise the API.

> whereas Tomcat
> JDBC Pool already works quite well.

For some users yes. As I said previously, it does not cover as many edge
cases as DBCP does.

> If so, I would favor the first
> option and make Tomcat JDBC Pool the default. Anyway DBCP2 will be a
> breaking change for DBCP 1.x users.

What makes you say that? I can't think of any configuration changes in
DBCP2 so far that would cause breakage (although I could be wrong).

> Why not go the extra mile with
> Tomcat JDBC Pool and use that.

It is (still) a one line configuration change to switch between the two.

Personally, I'm not happy with JDBC Pool as the default - primarily
because it is essentially supported by a single committer. It hasn't
built up a development community yet. DBCP has that development
community and is less dependent on a single committer.

>>> Can't we get rid of that relic?
>>
>> We could but I would not support such a move.  (Relic? Hardly.)
>
> I consinder it as a relic. Tomcat JDBC Pool's site even states that DBCP
> was written in ancient times withou multithreading in mind. Pre Java 5
> and so forth.

That is true of DBCP 1. It does not apply to DBCP 2.

> From my point of view, I have achieved tremendous improvements in our
> apps with Tomcat JDBC Pool and even found several bugs which would not
> have been possible with DBCP.

Great. You are free to continue using it. It will continue to be part of
Tomcat 8 in the same way it is part of Tomcat 7. Getting those same
performance improvements for users that need / want DBCP is a primary
driver for Pool 2 and DBCP 2.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the code bases converge but that is probably
an optimistic goal for a number of reasons.

Mark

Re: Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 release vote started

Posted by Michael-O <19...@gmx.net>.
Am 2013-08-02 11:43, schrieb Mark Thomas:
> Michael-O <19...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 2013-08-01 22:59, schrieb Mark Thomas:
>>> If you'd like early sight of Tomcat 8 and an opportunity to
>> contribute
>>> to Tomcat development, the release vote has now opened for the first
>>> Tomcat 8 release candidate.
>>>
>>> Features include:
>>> -[...]
>>> - Update to DBCP2 (now includes JMX monitoring)
>>                ^^^^^
>> Why if we do have the wonderful Tomcat JDBC Pool?
>
> 1. Choice (we ship both).
> 2. Features (DBCP covers more edge cases).
> 3. Maintainability. There is more chance of a DBCP fix at the moment. That should change when Filip returns.
> 4. Performance they should be much closer but I suspect Tomcat JDBC will be faster (those edge cases again).

According to Apache's JIRA DBCP2 is still in the works whereas Tomcat
JDBC Pool already works quite well. If so, I would favor the first
option and make Tomcat JDBC Pool the default. Anyway DBCP2 will be a
breaking change for DBCP 1.x users. Why not go the extra mile with
Tomcat JDBC Pool and use that.

>> Can't we get rid of that relic?
>
> We could but I would not support such a move.  (Relic? Hardly.)

I consinder it as a relic. Tomcat JDBC Pool's site even states that DBCP
was written in ancient times withou multithreading in mind. Pre Java 5
and so forth.

 From my point of view, I have achieved tremendous improvements in our

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael-O <19...@gmx.net>.