Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Peter Urban <Pe...@epfl.ch> on 1999/02/28 17:35:26 UTC

os-solaris/3977: build problem related to position independent code (PIC)

>Number:         3977
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       build problem related to position independent code (PIC)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I tried to build Apache with some extra modules, not included by default.
A call to 'ar' failed, because the Global Offset Table used by
Position Independent Code was full. See the explanation of the compiler
switches -fpic and -fPIC in the gcc documentation, e.g. at
http://castor.epfl.ch/asis/GNU.LANG/gcc-2.8.1/gcc_2.html#SEC19 .

>How-To-Repeat:
config.status:

./configure \
"--with-layout=GNU" \
"--prefix=/users/wwwtemp/Tools/apache" \
"--enable-rule=SHARED_CORE" \
"--enable-module=so" \
"--enable-module=proxy" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"$@"

>Fix:
I modified the configure script to have the compiler switch -fPIC
instead of -fPIC. Either -fPIC should be the default for
the sparc-solaris architecture (and possibly others), or there should
be a configure option to replace -fpic by -fPIC.