Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chendra Allen <q...@notnow.com> on 2002/01/09 11:11:34 UTC

Apache and WAP

Could somebody please answer some questions I have about Apache and WAP
?

Basically I need to know:

Can Apache serve WML, WMLScript to WAP devices ?

I'm going to write an application with Apache serving the HTML pages
made with Perl CGI scripts and want to have the application create WML
pages also.
I read in one place that WML etc. are just another MIME type.
I also read that WAP is based on HTTP.
Are these statements true ?
Is there a module for serving WML pages with Apache ?
Has anybody got Apache serving WML ?

Any constructive comments are welcome.
Chen

Re: Apache and WAP

Posted by Chendra Allen <q...@notnow.com>.
Thanks for the WAP info.
I'm glad to hear Apache can handle my WML needs.
Cheers,
Chen

Re: Apache and WAP

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Chendra Allen wrote:

> Basically I need to know:
>
> Can Apache serve WML, WMLScript to WAP devices ?
>
> I'm going to write an application with Apache serving the HTML pages
> made with Perl CGI scripts and want to have the application create WML
> pages also.
> I read in one place that WML etc. are just another MIME type.
> I also read that WAP is based on HTTP.
> Are these statements true ?
> Is there a module for serving WML pages with Apache ?
> Has anybody got Apache serving WML ?

WML is just another mark-up language. Apache can serve it as easily as
it serves HTML files or GIFs or MPG or whatever. The mime-type is needed
by the client so it knows what data to expect. To serve WML files you
just need to set up a virtual host serving those files - just like
another HTML site. It is the client who will process the WML files and
display them. E.g.

<VirtualHost wap.server.com>
  ServerName wap.server.com
  DocumentRoot /home/wap-stuff/wml
</VirtualHost>

For our wap service, we added:

# WAP mime-types
# --------------
text/vnd.wap.wml                wml
text/vnd.wap.wmlscript          wmls
image/vnd.wap.wbmp              wbmp
application/vnd.wap.wmlc        wmlc
application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc  wmlsc

to mime.types (though you probably only really need the first line).

As regards how it works - it is not the WAP client (e.g. mobile phone)
which contacts your server directly! Rather, the client contacts a WAP
gateway (using wireless application protocol) and the gateway (which is
a computer) contacts your server using HTTP. Usually, the WAP gateways
are provided by the mobile-phone operators.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: Apache and WAP

Posted by ca...@spcmg.com.
Done WML. Not all WML devices are the same and support the same features.

Anybody know of a good WML/Device Supported Feature cross-reference?