Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Homsher, Dave V." <DV...@bemis.com> on 2000/11/02 15:12:07 UTC

zlib error?

Hi all,

I came in this morning to find my server (semi) down with the following
error message in the logs:

[error] Out of memory during "large" request for 135168 bytes at
/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/PA-RISC2.0/Compress/Zlib.pm line 198

This is on an HP-UX machine with several _gigs_ of memory. In my mod_perl
modules, I compress my cookies (using Compress::Zlib) before sending them
across to the browser. All of the mods that generate cookies were getting an
internal server error :/

I did apachectl graceful with no luck, then apachectl restart with no luck
again, and finally a stop and start fixed the problem, but for how long?

Has anyone seen this or know where to start looking? It appears to be some
sort of memory leak, but where to begin looking?

Thanks,
Dave Homsher, II
Webmaster
MACtac IT

Re: zlib error?

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Homsher, Dave V. wrote:

> [error] Out of memory during "large" request for 135168 bytes
[snip]
> It appears to be some sort of memory leak, but where to begin looking?

Unless I'd already taken precautions and it remained a problem, I
wouldn't bother.  There are leaks everywhere, and not just in Perl.
It might not be zlib that's the culprit, could be the server just
happened to run out when it needed some.

You can use something to monitor the server like Stas' Apache::Watchdog.

Setting MaxRequestsPerChild to a low value might help.  That way maybe
bloated children get will killed off before they can cause a problem.
I use something in the region of 30 to 100 most of the time but most
people think that's too low.  It depends on how much you're struggling
for performance.

73,
Ged.

Re: zlib error?

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Homsher, Dave V. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I came in this morning to find my server (semi) down with the following
> error message in the logs:
>
> [error] Out of memory during "large" request for 135168 bytes at
> /opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/PA-RISC2.0/Compress/Zlib.pm line 198
>
> This is on an HP-UX machine with several _gigs_ of memory. In my mod_perl
> modules, I compress my cookies (using Compress::Zlib) before sending them
> across to the browser. All of the mods that generate cookies were getting an
> internal server error :/
>
> I did apachectl graceful with no luck, then apachectl restart with no luck
> again, and finally a stop and start fixed the problem, but for how long?
>
> Has anyone seen this or know where to start looking? It appears to be some
> sort of memory leak, but where to begin looking?

See my previous posts to this list regarding finding memory leaks in
AxKit. The techniques I used should help you, I hope.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **