Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/07/03 23:55:32 UTC

Re: [PRE-PROPOSAL] jakarta-tomcat-doc sub-project : WAS:[TomcatDocu mentation Redactors To Hire]

on 7/3/01 11:50 AM, "Christopher Cain" <cc...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:

> The more (most) people have to
> try and learn an extensive DTD or templating system, the less likely
> they are to bother.

I agree. That is why I came up with Anakia. It is brain dead simple to use
and runs extremely quickly. The "DTD" is a few simple XML tags and XHTML.

I suggest that before you make any more comments, you spend some time
looking at it.

:-)

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: [PRE-PROPOSAL] jakarta-tomcat-doc sub-project :WAS:[TomcatDocumentation Redactors To Hire]

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Christopher Cain wrote:

> Anyway, since it sounds like Geir has graciously volunteered to help me
> form the "Ministry of Documentation" as he so cleverly coined it, the
> point is more or less moot now. Users can submit plain text if they
> like, and I certainly have no problems learning whatever the community
> decides upon. Everybody wins.

Let me clarify - that was a typo.  What I typed read :

"I would be someone might volunteer to be Minister of Documentation..."

and what I was missing was a 't', for it to read

"I would bet someone might volunteer to be Minister of Documentation..."

meaning that Tomcat has a *huge* community of users and developers, and
someone who is a user of Tomcat and talented at writing might offer to
help out like that.  As long as the community recognizes that its an
important role, all will be well, especially if you can find someone to
take the lead and assert direction and guidance to the project.

I am willing to help of course as a satisfied Tomcat user, but I cannot
be the Minister.  I am too swamped by OSS and professional commitments.

geir

System and Software Consulting

Re: [PRE-PROPOSAL] jakarta-tomcat-doc sub-project :WAS:[TomcatDocu mentation Redactors To Hire]

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 7/3/01 4:00 PM, "Christopher Cain" <cc...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I had no idea that Anakia was your product. I will most
> certainly have a look and provide my official critique. Since your
> stance on JSP is dead-on accurate, and I hear that your replacement tool
> is actually something of an improvement, Anakia certainly deserves a
> look.
>
> - Christopher

I want Anakia to stand on its own instead of being "my product" so I don't
hold that out as a carrot for people to munch on.

In reality, what you need to use is the jakarta-site2 module which is an
application built around Anakia. Ie: it is a pre-fabricated .vsl file,
examples and build scripts that allow you to quickly get started creating
documentation. You can also look at the jakarta-tomcat-site module which is
already setup to have the dependency on jakarta-site2.

Like I said before, everything you need to write documentation is already
there...discussing this over and over again is futile.

-jon

Re: [PRE-PROPOSAL] jakarta-tomcat-doc sub-project :WAS:[TomcatDocu mentation Redactors To Hire]

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 7/3/01 11:50 AM, "Christopher Cain" <cc...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > The more (most) people have to
> > try and learn an extensive DTD or templating system, the less likely
> > they are to bother.
>
> I agree. That is why I came up with Anakia. It is brain dead simple to use
> and runs extremely quickly. The "DTD" is a few simple XML tags and XHTML.
>
> I suggest that before you make any more comments, you spend some time
> looking at it.

The statement you quoted me on above was a caution in the abstract about
standardizing on a complicated approach without having a few people
willing to process user contributions, primarily so that we don't
discourage such contributions. It was not directed at Anakia in
particular, hence the "or templating system." As I said, there are at
least three different suggestions floating around out there, so this was
simply my two cents on things to consider when deciding. I have
absolutely no experience with any of the proposed products, nor have I
ever pretended to.

Anyway, since it sounds like Geir has graciously volunteered to help me
form the "Ministry of Documentation" as he so cleverly coined it, the
point is more or less moot now. Users can submit plain text if they
like, and I certainly have no problems learning whatever the community
decides upon. Everybody wins.

Really, my man ... if you're going to take me to task on something,
you're going to have to learn not to quote me out of context. It's so
passe. For future reference, I never criticize an approach or product,
especially on a dev list, without thoroughly edifying myself on the
subject. (Yes, you can quote me on that. ) If you ever think that I
have, then you have misunderstood me.