Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com> on 2005/04/19 13:07:28 UTC

Whoa-new spam today

I got 4-5 spams overnight that scored very low, and one didn't hit a single
rule.

2 of them hit either SARE_MSGID_D10D4 or SARE_MSGID_IP, but one didn't hit
anything.  They are just a mixture of nonsense and misspelled words, with a
single URL.

They all came through the Debian mailing list, so I assume a bunch of Bayes
ham training allowed coming through that list to "help" the spammer?  Any
suggestions?

Here's a snippet of one:

Hello, handsome!

Having tried pills and realizing the importance of sustaining regular
blood levels of the formula through consistent regular dosing, I realized
my life was far too busy to keep track. With this product I simply
slap it on and let it do it.s thing, no muss or fuss.
This patch truly rocks as without having to stress about how often of how
many
pills to take, I.ve acquired a size which makes me feel confident.
Abstainer. A weak man who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
pleasure.
Braden
http://geocities.com/pailbzeopzxskcecvizkchhdzngoddi

Thanks, John

Re: Whoa-new spam today

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 4:07:28 AM, John Fleming wrote:
> I got 4-5 spams overnight that scored very low, and one didn't hit a single
> rule.

> 2 of them hit either SARE_MSGID_D10D4 or SARE_MSGID_IP, but one didn't hit
> anything.  They are just a mixture of nonsense and misspelled words, with a
> single URL.

> They all came through the Debian mailing list, so I assume a bunch of Bayes
> ham training allowed coming through that list to "help" the spammer?  Any
> suggestions?

> Here's a snippet of one:

> Hello, handsome!

> Having tried pills and realizing the importance of sustaining regular
> blood levels of the formula through consistent regular dosing, I realized
> my life was far too busy to keep track. With this product I simply
> slap it on and let it do it.s thing, no muss or fuss.
> This patch truly rocks as without having to stress about how often of how
> many
> pills to take, I.ve acquired a size which makes me feel confident.
> Abstainer. A weak man who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
> pleasure.
> Braden
> http://geocities.com/pailbzeopzxskcecvizkchhdzngoddi

If those are advertising an actual site on geocities, then please
report them to:

  geo-abuse@yahoo-inc.com

so Yahoo can shut them down.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Whoa-new spam today

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
John Fleming wrote:
> I got 4-5 spams overnight that scored very low, and one didn't hit a
> single rule.

Hmm, the message looked familiar, and I checked my spam folder.  Sure
enough, there was one in there.  The first 6 lines were identical to the
one you posted, though the pithy saying, closing, and URL were different.

> They all came through the Debian mailing list, so I assume a bunch of
> Bayes ham training allowed coming through that list to "help" the
> spammer?  Any suggestions?

Mine came straight to me, so it tripped BAYES_99 easily.  I've bumped up
the score on the Bayes rules a bit, so that, RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO, and
RCVD_BY_IP landed it a score of 5.3.

Depending on how consistent the rest of them are, it might be possible
to track some of the phrases.

--
Kelson Vibber