Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Laurentiu Vasiescu <la...@tri-pen.ro> on 2005/02/14 14:25:59 UTC

tomcat + SSL, apache

Is there any way to have the Tomcat with SSL and a front-end Apache, wich should only serve as a interface between client and tomcat?
I mean tomcat should serve the certificates and do all the ssl, apache only to redirect traffic to it.
thanks.

Laurentiu   Vasiescu
Network Administrator

      S.A. Tri-Pen TravelMaster Technologies, SRL
      Eastern Europe - Bucharest (Romania)
      Office:  +40 (31) 401 1152
      +40 (31) 402 5027
      Fax: +40 (21) 323 4357
      E-mail: laurentiu.vasiescu@tri-pen.ro
      Web: http://www.tri-pen.ro

contact Tri-Pen TavelMaster Technologies at +40 (31) 401 1152 and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: tomcat + SSL, apache

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:25:59 +0200, Laurentiu Vasiescu
<la...@tri-pen.ro> wrote:

> Is there any way to have the Tomcat with SSL and a front-end Apache, wich
> should only serve as a interface between client and tomcat?
> I mean tomcat should serve the certificates and do all the ssl, apache only
> to redirect traffic to it.
> thanks.

Google for configuring Apache as a "Forward Proxy", I think that
should do what you want but not 100% sure.

Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop - http://kde.org
KDE Web Team - webmaster@kde

Re: tomcat + SSL, apache

Posted by Wouter Boers <wg...@gmail.com>.
Don't think so. Apache takes on the connection and therefore is in
charge of the SSL handshake. So you will have to confiure apache to
support SSL.

They only way to make tomcat handle the handshake is to make it
directly available to the browser. But guess you allready kind of
suspected it :)

Regards, Wouter

<la...@tri-pen.ro> wrote:

> Is there any way to have the Tomcat with SSL and a front-end Apache, wich
> should only serve as a interface between client and tomcat?
> I mean tomcat should serve the certificates and do all the ssl, apache only
> to redirect traffic to it.
> thanks.
>

> Laurentiu
> Vasiescu
> Network Administrator
>

> S.A. Tri-Pen TravelMaster Technologies, SRL
> Eastern Europe - Bucharest (Romania)
>  Office: +40 (31) 401 1152
> +40 (31) 402 5027
>  Fax: +40 (21) 323 4357
>  E-mail: laurentiu.vasiescu@tri-pen.ro
>  Web: http://www.tri-pen.ro

> Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments,
> confidential
> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> contact Tri-Pen TavelMaster Technologies at +40 (31) 401 1152 and destroy
> all copies of the original message.

Regards, Wouter Boers
business: http://www.abcdarium.nl
personal: http://www.ikke.net

Re: tomcat + SSL, apache

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Didier McGillis wrote:
> Actually I believe its the opposite.  Apache serves the certificate the
> communication between Tomcat and Apache shouldnt be public anyway.

Apache makes the SSL handshake and passes any client certificate to
Tomcat. Any servlet sees that like it came directly from Tomcat.
Communication between apache and tomcat is not encrypted,
so if you are concerned about the security, put the apache on the
box with two NIC cards, and use the second for the
apache-tomcat communication.

AJP14 protocol will have encryption embedded, so until then :).

Mladen.

RE: tomcat + SSL, apache

Posted by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com>.